News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Prehistoric "hunting wall" under the Baltic

Started by Duncan Head, February 13, 2024, 12:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

DBS

I must admit I am slightly sceptical about it being an elongated hunting fold - just seems a tad long and unnecessarily hard work for that - but it is not as if I have a brilliant alternative to offer other than the hackneyed old "religious / tribal boundary marker" which tends to get trotted out when we do not breally have a clue... :D
David Stevens

Ian61

Quotemany of which were too heavy for groups of humans to have moved.

At least no speculating on aliens! 8)

A pity no map or diagram showing the shape. There is a suggestion that it has a shape so presumably not straight but ...?
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Jon Freitag

How about as a defensive barrier to protect prime real estate from rising water levels due to climate change? 

Jim Webster

Quote from: Jon Freitag on February 13, 2024, 01:31:03 PMHow about as a defensive barrier to protect prime real estate from rising water levels due to climate change? 

I think there are earth banks in the UK which had a cattle herding (as opposed to housing) purpose

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Jim Webster on February 13, 2024, 01:57:27 PM
Quote from: Jon Freitag on February 13, 2024, 01:31:03 PMHow about as a defensive barrier to protect prime real estate from rising water levels due to climate change? 

I think there are earth banks in the UK which had a cattle herding (as opposed to housing) purpose

If I was fluent in emoji, I might be able to find one for tongue-in-cheek.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Ian61 on February 13, 2024, 01:30:04 PMA pity no map or diagram showing the shape. There is a suggestion that it has a shape so presumably not straight but ...?
There are maps in the original academic article at https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2312008121 but not the easiest to interpret.
Duncan Head

Ian61

Quote from: Duncan Head on February 13, 2024, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: Ian61 on February 13, 2024, 01:30:04 PMA pity no map or diagram showing the shape. There is a suggestion that it has a shape so presumably not straight but ...?
There are maps in the original academic article at https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2312008121 but not the easiest to interpret.

Thanks Duncan - I see what you mean - eventually you do get a close up the map and scan labelled 2B and 2C - essentially a wavy line.
Ian Piper

Imperial Dave

If it was in Egypt then it could be in de nile
Slingshot Editor

Ian61

With a bit more time to look further I actually find myself less convinced about human origin for this feature. The lack of stones to one side suggests nature may have had a hand here. Even the text does not seem totally convinced in places but still goes on with a large amount of entertaining speculation.
Ian Piper

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor