News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Debate about the recent Alexander documentary

Started by Imperial Dave, February 29, 2024, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keraunos

I would go along with most of what Prof. Cartledge says.  The history of the Alexander myth from ancient days through the medieval period and down to the present is fascinating in itself.  I am not sure that it is worthwhile for a Greek minister of culture - or anyone else - to get worked up about yet another Hollywood reworking of half understood aspects of that myth.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Keraunos

Makedonian?  Let's not go down there, however you spell or pronounce it.  A huge can of worms of modern Greek political making.

Nick Harbud

In reading the article, I am reminded of a quotation from the late Gore Vidal.

"In America, if you want a successful career in politics, there is one subject you must never mention, and that is politics. If you talk about standing tall, and it's morning in America, and you press the good-news buttons, you're fine. If you talk about budgets, tax reform, bigotry, and so on, you are in trouble. So if we aren't going to talk issues, what can we talk about? Well, the sex lives of the candidates, because that is about the most meaningless thing that you can talk about."

:P
Nick Harbud