News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Which armies used kite shields?

Started by Dave Beatty, October 28, 2013, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew881runner

I am sure I saw some paintings some time ago but cannot find source. Sorry. I have in mind some painting I am sure I saw in some history books maybe at school time.
I have in mind this picture of a line of soldiers with no armors no helms and kite shields in different position, facing upward or downward or right or left with the edge of the shield. Maybe you can find it.

Erpingham

Quote from: andrew881runner on July 15, 2014, 01:38:21 PM
I am sure I saw some paintings some time ago but cannot find source. Sorry. I have in mind some painting I am sure I saw in some history books maybe at school time.
I have in mind this picture of a line of soldiers with no armors no helms and kite shields in different position, facing upward or downward or right or left with the edge of the shield. Maybe you can find it.

I do know it.  It comes from the Apocalypse of St Sever.  It is usually dated to the mid-11th century.

There is a picture from a facsimile here : http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/illuman/images/full_resolution/11_02.jpg

andrew881runner

ok yes that one but I thought it was before.

Erpingham

Quote from: andrew881runner on July 15, 2014, 09:51:39 PM
ok yes that one but I thought it was before.

No problem.  Picture editors in some of these books can be sloppy about dates.  It's an interesting as a rare (possibly unique) image of a shieldwall from the front. 

andrew881runner

I wonder why some. Shields are kept upside down

Dave Beatty

Thanks for all the great info.  So far the discussion has been on Western Europe and the theory that the Germans or Franks (also Germanic of course) developed the kite shield circa 900. Are there any earlier examples from further east?  Byzantium or Persia come to mind. How about India?