News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Medieval gift token found in Norfolk

Started by davidb, December 18, 2023, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

As most likely issued before the Reformation, would the Church of England accept obligations entered into by the Roman Church?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Keraunos on December 19, 2023, 12:10:53 PMAs most likely issued before the Reformation, would the Church of England accept obligations entered into by the Roman Church?

To a certain extent they did. The reformation in theory merely removed the Pope. The Church of England has spent five hundred years trying to work out whether they were a 'unRoman' Catholic church or a protestant church. So all churches, lands and suchlike weren't so much 'transferred' as 'remained within the organisation. Mortgages and debts on the land were also transferred.'
The person who issued the token could well have remained within the Church their entire life, so I have no doubt some churches etc did continue to honour the tokens, but I suspect that the idea was they were cashed in within that month. I suspect that they went out of fashion, as the Abbeys who handed them out disappeared one way or another.