News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Study of classics in Scotland.....

Started by Imperial Dave, April 03, 2018, 07:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

aligern

I suspect it has a deadly enemy in trendy teachers. Scotland was arguably never part of the Roman Empire, nor really was England. Teaching classical history is part of establishing a common European heritage and background above and beyond our more particular nationalisms, though the mediaeval and Renaissance threads of that European commonality have no consistent disciplinary unity which can be taught which is a pity because I suspect that failure to understand our deep 'Europeanness' has consequences . Its a little like the loss of bible studies, how could anyone understand Cromwell without having looked at his handbook?
The good bit about Greek, Roman and indeed bible ( OT) studies is that they are all rich in people whacking each other.
Do I own Beethoven or am I stuck with Benjamin Britten?
R

Imperial Dave

my son studies some aspects in his RE course and finds it fascinating but its not classical studies by any definition.
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: aligern on April 04, 2018, 06:25:22 PM
I suspect it has a deadly enemy in trendy teachers.

Quote from: justin
I suspect that 'trendy' is on its way out. As the liberal cultural establishment....

Can we please keep the modern political stuff off this forum, before it turns into TMP?
Duncan Head

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Duncan Head on April 04, 2018, 08:49:03 PM
Quote from: aligern on April 04, 2018, 06:25:22 PM
I suspect it has a deadly enemy in trendy teachers.

Quote from: justin
I suspect that 'trendy' is on its way out. As the liberal cultural establishment....

Can we please keep the modern political stuff off this forum, before it turns into TMP?

Fine. Done. Fascinating topic though.

Mark G

There is a distinctly local aspect that cannot be elucidated without crossing that line.  It is a much more geographically located driver than any broader zeitgeist narrative.

Dangun

Isn't it just a more mundane economic process?
University education is increasingly expensive, favouring degrees that produce an economic return. And employers are increasingly see a benefit in vocationally tailored degrees.

I have one of each and it is the vocational degree, not the classics,  that pays the bills.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Dangun on April 05, 2018, 03:31:03 PM
Isn't it just a more mundane economic process?
University education is increasingly expensive, favouring degrees that produce an economic return. And employers are increasingly see a benefit in vocationally tailored degrees.

I have one of each and it is the vocational degree, not the classics,  that pays the bills.

agreed in respect of vocational versus Uni degrees. I have one of each as well and its the vocational one that wins hands down in terms of career and progression etc
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

Here, a university education in classics would be vocational training. Vocational training for becoming an academic classicist, but still.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Mark G

A rigid focus on vocation meaning worthwhile is quite central to the strategy at play here.  Except also Gaelic for some reason, especially in the places the gaels never were.

DougM

Quote from: Mark G on April 06, 2018, 06:52:45 AM
A rigid focus on vocation meaning worthwhile is quite central to the strategy at play here.  Except also Gaelic for some reason, especially in the places the gaels never were.

Care to evidence that latter statement Mark? The place name evidence is pretty conclusive, including in the Lothians.

And my 17 yr old nephew just missed out on the classics prize at our local state school. So I don't think it is as clear cut as all that.

As for hints of nasty conspiracies, it's local authorities who run education, and at least in Scotland the curriculum for excellence was a cross party initiative.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Mark G

Try asking an educator Doug.

But well done to your kid

Erpingham

Quote from: Mark G on April 06, 2018, 05:44:17 PM
Try asking an educator Doug.

But well done to your kid

Perhaps the lesson is we can't discuss education without getting political?

I suggest any further discussion of place name evidence and the presence of Gaelic speakers across the whole of Scotland takes place in its own thread.  As this would involve discussion of the languages of the Caledonians and Picts and the coming of the Scots and Anglians, it might be of interest.

Imperial Dave

absolutely and a very interesting thread in itself as you suggest
Slingshot Editor

Anton

It would indeed be an interesting thread.  I'd certainly contribute.

Congratulations to Doug's lad too.