News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sporting the Middle Elamite look

Started by Andreas Johansson, May 28, 2024, 06:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

For unusual reasons, I've been thinking recently of what a Middle Elamite (ca 1600-1200 BC) army might look like. AANE says that almost nothing is known except from a relief showing archers with helmet, tunic, and dagger (probably this one), on which shaky grounds I've previously toyed with the idea of borrowing the chariotry from my Mitanni - they're supposed to have been role models for charioteering all over the ANE, right? - and adding a horde of foot archers in tunics to round the army out.

But AANE is now forty years old, so maybe more evidence has turned up in the meantime? Discouragingly, the other wargamer's guide to the ANE I've got, Zeughaus' Die Heere im Alten Orient (2010) doesn't have any reconstructions of Elamites at all.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 2 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Mick Hession

It might be worth posting this to the DBMMlist group Andrea's as Nigel Tallis is a member and should be able to confirm the current thinking

gavindbm

Quote from: Mick Hession on May 28, 2024, 10:58:38 AMIt might be worth posting this to the DBMMlist group Andrea's as Nigel Tallis is a member and should be able to confirm the current thinking

Good idea ... and please post any answer back here.

Andreas Johansson

I did, though haven't had any direct response from Nigel yet.

Duncan did post this (paywalled) article, which might be useful, and Nigel said it should be on JSTOR next year.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 2 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other