News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Annual holiday game

Started by Paul Innes, January 01, 2015, 08:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Innes

Some Romans meet a few Gauls; much hilarity ensues. Battle report here:

http://caliban-somewhen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/battle-of-sulga-121-bc-romans-against.html

Happy New Year, all.

Imperial Dave

cracking game and report Paul.

'Screaming loonies' made me chuckle  :)
Slingshot Editor

Paul Innes

Thanks, Dave; the other option was 'football supporters looking forward to the traditional New Year's Day game', which has certain resonances in Glasgow. I won't say which side was Rangers or Celtic, though, since they all seem the same to me...

Chuck the Grey

An impressive game and excellent report. I would've liked to have a mention of the rules being used for the game earlier in the report, but I appreciate your effort to keep the game report rules neutral. I played a lot of games in the past with the original Tactica rules set and found them very enjoyable after a few tweaks. I suppose when Tactica II is finally released I'll purchase a copy. After all, a gamer can never have too many sets of rules. ;)

PS, "screaming loonies" indeed! You shall be hearing from the Gaelic Anti-Defamation League, Brennus president and cofounder.

Paul Innes

Thanks, Chuck, I'd love to see the rules in print too...anyway, there's nowt wrong with screaming loonies!

Imperial Dave

What I love about it is that you managed to get 8 people together to fight such a humongous battle! Really impressive. My largest battle normally involves me playing solo with the dog watching from the sidelines (eyeing up the pretzels)  ::)
Slingshot Editor

Paul Innes

Mmmm, pretzels...

Strangely enough, the mechanisms are very beer and pretzels. That's good, though, because it means we can play a very large multiplayer game in a reasonable amount of time. I also find that I'm so busy with my bit of the field that I don't really engage very well with the other commanders on my side, even those closest to me. The result is always battlefield friction, just by virtue of the size of the game. For example, in this particular game I did at one point angle some of my legionaries to face my left, in case the enemy cavalry broke through. I turned them back again when no threat materialised. Crucially, though, I literally wasn't in a position to advise the players on our other flank to do the same. Result: enemy cavalry breakthrough and a lot of squished legionaries. Who needs rules to simulate friction when you have players like us anyway!?

Duncan Head

Quote from: Paul Innes on January 03, 2015, 08:48:46 PMI also find that I'm so busy with my bit of the field that I don't really engage very well with the other commanders on my side, even those closest to me. The result is always battlefield friction, just by virtue of the size of the game.
I think that happens in most large games - I've noticed it in Battleday games, for instance.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

The one and only 2-a-side wargame (sad I know) I played also threw up some confusion and interpretation issues. We resolved not to speak to each other and only allowed ourselves written orders. Bit odd but often (non intentionally) hilarious and facial expressions and much arm waving to boot  ::)
Slingshot Editor

Paul Innes

Thanks both. You make me feel better because it means I'm not alone! I think this kind of friction adds to the experience.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Paul Innes on January 04, 2015, 10:44:51 AM
Thanks both. You make me feel better because it means I'm not alone! I think this kind of friction adds to the experience.

absolutely Paul. It felt as though we were (as far as is reasonably practical in a wargame environment) commanding two parts of the same army. If one of us felt there was something needing to be done/changed, a hastily scribbled note and a messenger sent across the board to relay it. Felt quite realistic and did lead onto some 'd'oh' moments

Brilliant experience
Slingshot Editor

Paul Innes

Hi Dave, I can do "D'Oh!" quite well too!

Chris

A beyond impressive miniature engagement.

You and your cohorts certainly have set the bar for other reporters of battles in this New Year.

Well done!

I would imagine that many are already "standing in line" waiting for the next narrative to arrive from your spectacular and crowded tabletop.

Thanks for posting/sharing,

Chris

Paul Innes

Cheers, Chris, I'd love to try one of the scenarios from your battle reports with loads of figures.