News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ticinus with Optio - second game

Started by Justin Swanton, May 12, 2023, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Here is a second replay of the Ticinus with Optio. In this game the velites acted as regular LI, not hamappoi as they had done in the previous game. This time the result was more historical.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Interesting report Justin.

In answer to your question at the end, I think the Roman commander did not make much use of the velites on his left flank. Potentially, using them more aggressively with their colleagues against the Numidian light horse would have given the Romans the chance to use all their heavier cavalry to focus on the enemy cavalry on the other flank.
David

Justin Swanton

Thanks David. My problem with velites is that they're good for a volley or two before enemy cavalry are upon them. So if you deploy them in front of the cavalry they have just enough time to shoot once or maybe twice before being obliged to evade through their own horse and be effectively out of the battle. My (vague) hope was being able to use them against the enemy's right flank and rear whilst my own cavalry kept him occupied to his front. Which didn't work. Now I know why hamappoi were invented.