News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Bold Sir Hugh sallies forth

Started by Erpingham, June 16, 2023, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

A small test game to try out the handing of my new wax-fixed figures (and to refresh my memory of the rules).  10 units a side of French and English from the mid Hundred Years War.  The English were led by the redoubtable Sir Hugh Calveley.  Terrain was minimal - a small hill in mid-table to test whether the figures stayed on their bases as moved to-and-fro on it.

Both sides were in three "divisions". Tactical finesse was lacking (I was commanding both sides and it was a hot day) and the French rolled forward to attack.  On one flank, a cavalry fight developed and the two sides essentially neutralised each other.  The one hope of a French breakthrough was lost when a unit of sergeants caught and destroyed the flank-most archer unit but then pursued them into the distance - typical cavalry!

In the main part of the action, both sides sides engaged in an initially archery duel, which put the French crossbows out of action.  The French heavy infantry were able to advance taking minimal casualties and contacted the archer line, which buckled (one archer unit breaking) but held on.  The loss of a French militia unit gave the English space to turn the flank of the French line, hitting a second militia unit square in the flank while it was struggling with some archers and it was all over.  The English lost 3 units, the French seven.

I must admit, I missapplied a couple of rules because I'd forgotten exactly how I'd resolved them previously (yes, I had written it down - no, I didn't look it up in the heat of the action  ::) ).  One of these may have had a significant effect (I should have applied the "last man standing" rule to the English cavalry, who started in a two unit division, when one unit was destroyed, instead of the 50% morale test), the other had little effect.

So, a fun hour using troops who haven't seen action for a while (quite a few of them never have).  The wax fixing also passed with flying colours  :)

Justin Swanton

Have you tried using silicon gel underneath the stands? It works a charm for me - the stands don't slide down hills at all.

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on June 19, 2023, 11:38:56 AMHave you tried using silicon gel underneath the stands? It works a charm for me - the stands don't slide down hills at all.
Interesting idea.  Bases sliding hasn't been an issue, possibly because of the hills I have chosen (fairly gentle gradients with flocked finish). What used to happen was the single figures freely placed on the movement bases toppled - often one would go and then a domino effect took out others. I'd need to extracate the base and refill it.  I'd then put it back, knocking a figure and have it all happen again.  :( The hill check was to see if the wax had conquered this problem.

Martin Smith

Quote from: Justin Swanton on June 19, 2023, 11:38:56 AMHave you tried using silicon gel underneath the stands? It works a charm for me - the stands don't slide down hills at all.
As in silicone bathroom sealant type stuff, Justin?
Martin
u444

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Martin Smith on June 19, 2023, 05:18:36 PM
As in silicone bathroom sealant type stuff, Justin?
That's it. you spread it thin and it dries to a rubber-like texture. Excellent grip on things like hilly slopes.