News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Romans versus Galatians AAR

Started by Chris, November 24, 2013, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Innes

Thanks for posting, Chris.  It would seem that the command rolls make these rules work quite well for solo games by taking away some certainty...

aligern

it seemed to me that there was not much tactical subtlety on either side. That might well be good history for Romans versus Gauls, but must be harder to put into place in a solo game where there is no element if deception and surprise. It is bad enough that we  can all see the opponent's deployment in a two player game, but at least we do not know what his plan is until it unfolds..
Would it be any better,I muse, with a card based set or constructing a card pack that had deployment options that took away your ability to decide upon initial unit placement?

Roy

Dave Gee

The link seems to be broken. I just get an account suspended window.  :'(

Chris

Agreed, there was not much finesse in the game. It was a HC scenario based on the edge-of-table to edge-of-table original scenario from 1990. In the original wargame, the only surprise was the Galatians and Greeks sneaking a march on the Romans. This move allowed some terrain features to be occupied.

My objective was to further my learning of and comfort level with the HC rules. The game is quite social and dice-heavy. These characteristics or qualities are not bad things, but they can be a challenge for the solo wargamer.

The use of cards has been discussed in previous issues of Lone Warrior and in other mags/journals/forums. I will have to make a point of reviewing this procedure for possible future use.

Regards,

Chris