News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Governor's Gamble: Boudicca versus Suetonius

Started by Chris, January 12, 2014, 11:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen and fellow wargamers,

A cordial invitation is extended to individuals interested in reading about a solo refight of  the historical engagement between Queen Boudicca and Governor Suetonius.

Here is the link:

http://lonewarriorswa.com/the-governors-gamble-aar

Thanks in advance for your time and additional thanks to those who take a few more minutes to type a comment/response/observation/question.

Regards,

Chris

Prufrock

Looks good, Chris.  Will read it tonight.  Maybe you should do one of these for Slingshot!

Cheers,
Aaron

Paul Innes

Hi Chris, thanks for posting - a very close run thing!

Patrick Waterson

It is worth having Dio's account of the battle to hand when reading through Chris' report.

"After addressing these and like words to them he raised the signal for battle. Thereupon the armies approached each other, the barbarians with much shouting mingled with menacing battle-songs, but the Romans silently and in order until they came within a javelin's throw of the enemy.  Then, while their foes were still advancing against them at a walk, the Romans rushed forward at a signal and charged them at full speed, and when the clash came, easily broke through the opposing ranks; but, as they were surrounded by the great numbers of the enemy, they had to be fighting everywhere at once.  Their struggle took many forms. Light-armed troops exchanged missiles with light-armed, heavy-armed were opposed to heavy-armed, cavalry clashed with cavalry, and against the chariots of the barbarians the Roman archers contended. The barbarians would assail the Romans with a rush of their chariots, knocking them helter-skelter, but, since they fought without breastplates, would themselves be repulsed by the arrows. Horseman would overthrow foot-soldiers and foot-soldiers strike down horseman;  a group of Romans, forming in close order, would advance to meet the chariots, and others would be scattered by them; a band of Britons would come to close quarters with the archers and rout them, while others were content to dodge their shafts at a distance; and all this was going on not at one spot only, but in all three divisions at once.  They contended for a long time, both parties being animated by the same zeal and daring. But finally, late in the day, the Romans prevailed; and they slew many in battle beside the wagons and the forest, and captured many alike.  Nevertheless, not a few made their escape and were preparing to fight again. In the meantime, however, p105Buduica fell sick and died. The Britons mourned her deeply and gave her a costly burial; but, feeling that now at last they were really defeated, they scattered to their homes. So much for affairs in Britain."  - Cassius Dio LXII.12

Keep up the good work, Chris.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Chris

Aaron, Paul, and Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Appreciate it.

Aaron - I am considering it. I had a report appear some time ago. It was just a report, certainly nothing academic. Will have to try and find out what's been done in the last decade so that I don't simply rehash something already well covered.

Patrick - That passage you cite was one that really got me interested in attempting a refight.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Regards,

Chris

dwkay57

I have the Salamander book and also the Osprey book "The Roman Army" which has similar "maps" and brief write ups. Adrian Goldsworthy's book "The Complete Roman Army"  also describes the battle. The graphics here tend to suggest a much more densely packed battlefield, especially from the British perspective. The obvious wargamer's observation might be "why didn't the Britons try sending men in the woods to outflank the Romans?" Potentially because they didn't have the necessary leadership scores......

There is quite a good descriptive narrative of the battle in the fictional book "Imperial Governor" (as reviewed in Slingshot last year) which I felt gave a good feel for the battle and also tended to suggest that the Governor might have been lucky.
David