News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Possibilities in Scotland

Started by Paul Innes, January 17, 2014, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Innes

Hi everyone, I'm not sure whereabouts to post this, but I think this is probably the best forum.  I've just made a blog post here:

http://caliban-somewhen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/problems-with-clubs.html

...about some recent changes in our club's circumstances.  The new premises do present us with some more options, especially bearing in mind some recent comments about trying to raise the Society's profile here in sunny Scotland.  I don't yet know how realistic it is for us to run Montaperti at Carronade in May in Falkirk due to lack of available figures.  However, we now have the possibility of hosting events in the new premises in a way that simply wasn't an option before.  Our dedicated group of ancients players, of whom at least four have written for Slingshot at one time or another, isn't really interested in organising tournaments or anything like that, but we could do something else. 

Does anybody have any ideas?  I suppose that the first thing that came to my mind would be a sort of Open Day run under the Society's auspices.  This would allow us to issue an open invitation to any group or individual who might want to run a game or provide some sort of presence that falls within the Society's purview - a sort of ancients Game Day in Scotland.

I have to admit that these are just some initial thoughts, and I haven't yet run them past any of our regulars, although some of them have separately mused out loud about something like this.  The good thing about our being members of this particular venue is that we can book some really good gaming space at a very good rate - it would be a shame not to take advantage of something like this...

Cheers!
Paul

Dave Knight

I would love to take part and might well be able to persuade some Falkirk members to come over

Impetus would be high on the list of games we could put on though FOG and Crusader might well be possibilities.

We keep a list of Club, Scottish and Some Northern English events and shows on our forum - I will add add a note on this suggestion.

Any idea at all on date?