News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

'Pannonian' hats- colour?

Started by WillieB, December 24, 2014, 05:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillieB

Late Romans are often shown wearing those 'Pannonian' hats and mostly they are depicted either black or a dark brown/ grey.
I've also seen a few illustrations (mostly high ranking officers) with red ones.

Would there have been other colours as well?
What material were they made of?

Since I will mostly use them for levies I suppose no bright colours?

Thanks very much for any help!
You can't buy honour.

aligern

I recall that it is the n Vegetius that the hats are leather ,provided the hat that he speaks of is the same, if course. They are shown sometimes with furry looking curls on the outside, you will see one such if you Google Pannonian hat and that may well indicate that some had natural fur or sherps wool exterior, hence brown, grey or black. Leather could be coloured and red is appropriate for that, as would be green. a top chap's hat is more likely coloured, a soldier's more likely to be a practixal waterproof item with natural fur or wool outside.
Roy

Duncan Head

This mosaic is the only coloured version I can think of offhand. Some textured - furry? - versions appear on coins, but some have expressed doubts about authenticity.
Duncan Head