News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Somewhere in Southern Italy - 1070 AD

Started by Chris, May 24, 2015, 12:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Remember in a lot of clubs a lot of people play a lot of periods.

Last night our bunch played ancients, the week before it was Zombies and the week before Napoleonic.

Actually the Zombie game had the best terrain  ;D

Jim

Chris

Quote from: Jim Webster on May 27, 2015, 08:19:00 AM

Actually the Zombie game had the best terrain  ;D

So the look of the Zombie battle was "dead" on?  :P

Jim Webster

Mark G

Well never with ww2 because there are no based formations.
Naps depends on basing, but usually is a bit in between ...

Chris

Am in receipt of the latest issue of WI (Wargames Illustrated). Mr. Hilton's op/ed piece entitled "Too Much of a  Good Thing" caught my attention. He touches on the division of wealth (for lack of a  better phrase) in the hobby and the apparent anger that is sometimes generated by the 99% (or at least a very small and very vocal portion of this percentage) against those occupying the top-tier.

It seems the piece was generated by concerns over similar coverage of material and therefore miniature collections by the 3 major publications (WI, MWw/BG, and S&S - I presume).

To cut to the chase, I found  the topic(s) of the piece somewhat in line with points raised in my lengthy footnote. My first reaction was to go back and  check my wording to see if I, in fact, come across as one of those  "trolls" on the Internet or an administrator at Frothygoobers IsUs.net/com/org. I don't believe I do . . . I don't believe I am.

Interestingly, two pictures of a Waterloo battle are presented with the column (no pun intended). Yes, I would agree that the  first picture is prettier than the second. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . . Art is subjective (much like wargaming), and all that. The second photo looked pretty good as well. (I should remind raiders of my approach and so, it would seem that even unpainted figures on rather  plain terrain would  be an improvement!) One wonders, however, which tabletop engagement was more fun.

One more related point . . . There was also an article about Blucher in this  issue. The figures used were 6mm and they were arranged on bases, and the bases were arranged on Blucher cards for ease  of play. A different approach, certainly. It was still visual, but with another layer of appeal or  possibly, disagreement.

Finally, I note with interest that the July issue will be centered around the theme of Alexander the Great.

Chris