News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Dunkirk 1383

Started by Dave Knight, August 18, 2023, 09:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

I am currently reading about sieges in the Hundred Years War and came across a reference to a substantial battle near Dunkirk that was new to me.

It was part of a 'crusade' against the Pope at Avignon and included an 8000 strong English army and Flemish support against the French and possibly other Flemish troops as after the English victory the army moved on to lay siege to Ypres.

Does anyone have any more information on this battle?

Erpingham

There is quite a bit elsewhere in this section of the forum here

Add : George Wrong's book on the Crusade, which I referenced in that discussion, is here

https://archive.org/details/crusadeofmccclx00wron/mode/2up

However, he only has a few lines on the battle.  His main useful detail is to compare the various casualty figures from the sources.

Dave Knight

Erpingham

De Re Militari also has a set of five sources (which I think I plundered for my post earlier), plus some suggested reading here.

Erpingham

Here's a interesting side light on the campaign in the records of London

Punishment of an Impostor, for circulating false reports from the War in Flanders.

7 Richard II. A.D. 1383. Letter-Book H. fol. clxv. (Latin.)

Hugh de la Pole, of Wales, was brought here, before John Norhamptone, Mayor, and the Aldermen, on the 24th day of July, in the 7th year etc., and examined before them, for that on the day before he came into the Street of St. Laurence in the Old Jewry, in London, begging alms, and asserting and saying that he, together with other fifteen comrades of his, had come from the parts of Flanders, namely, from the town of Ipres; which the Lord Bishop of Norwich had taken by assault, and was in it with his men; and that the French and other enemies who had held it, had withdrawn to a certain castle in the town, and held the same. And further, that within the same town the Bishop and his men had three barrels full of gold; and that in the assault those fifteen comrades of his were so badly wounded and bruised, that not one of them can now help himself.

And he further said, that a dissension had arisen between the Lord Bishop and the other English knights who were there with him. And that the people might the more readily give credence to his words, he shewed them his hand, anointed with oil and swathed in cloths, to appear as though it were wounded; when in truth there was no hurt upon it, as before the said Mayor and Aldermen was plainly shown; thus falsely and maliciously lying, and making himself out to be poor and feeble, in deceit of the whole people, and to the manifest scandal of the City of London; the more especially as the same city, by such lies so fabricated therein, might very easily be everywhere defamed, as being the planner and inventor thereof, and the whole kingdom might readily be disturbed and disquieted thereby etc.

It was therefore adjudged, that the same Hugh should be put upon the pillory, there to remain for one hour of the day, with a whetstone hung from his neck, in token of his being a liar. And he was forbidden to conceal himself afterwards, or to remain within the liberty of the city aforesaid, on pain etc.

So, fake news and an attempt at a con.  But, while inaccurate, it is not completely wrong, which suggests that real news from the front was circulating on the streets.  One of the bits that upset them - the idea that the Bishop and his military advisors had fallen out, was perfectly true.