News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Tony Bath ancients game at Warfare 2015 #50th anniversary

Started by yesthatphil, November 18, 2015, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesthatphil

John Curry (The history of Wargaming Project) and I 'recreated' a 1960s wargame at Warfare at the weekend as a nod to the 50th anniversay of Tony Bath's great project (The Society of Ancients) ...

The figures were flats, mostly from Phil Barker's Romans, mostly unlicenced copies made by Tony ... and the rules we used were Tony's rules as published in Donald Featherstone's 1962 'War Games' ...

(John Curry explaining 'the original ancients game with the original ancients figures' ... )

On the Sunday, the Society being short of a display game, we moved to the pitch vacated by Phil Sabin's (Saturday only) lost battle and our Roman 'Hyboria' game became part of the Society pitch ...

Interesting, as, true to Tony Bath's ideals, ours was an entirely fictional encounter whereas, for the Society, I would have otherwise focused on a historical battle.  Tony Bath's ancients game was ancients/fantasy/imagination, of course  ;)

(Tony Bath's ancients game: half the cataphracts just ran off after losing their last officer)

There's a full report on the show on Ancients on the Move/Warfare 2015 and I will follow it up shortly with a brief feature on the wargame (and the rules) itself ...

Thanks to everybody who helped or took part ... well done to Tony's Society and Slingshot on making the first 50 years ...

Phil

aligern

A Good demo Phil and thank you for providing a Society related event on the Sunday.. TonyBath's Hyborian based Fantasy world is, of course , a licensed heresy on the continuum which goes:
Recreating actual battles
Armies that actually met, from a wider listing of troop types
Armies co eval, but that did not meet.
Hyborian style with armies that are all ancient, but sansmagic.
Tolkien Middle Earth or similar.
Hordes of the Things.
Space Marines.
😀
Roy

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: aligern on November 22, 2015, 07:31:15 AM
TonyBath's Hyborian based Fantasy world is, of course , a licensed heresy on the continuum which goes:
Recreating actual battles
Armies that actually met, from a wider listing of troop types
Armies co eval, but that did not meet.
Hyborian style with armies that are all ancient, but sansmagic.
Tolkien Middle Earth or similar.
Hordes of the Things.
Space Marines.
Roy

I would not put Roy there on the continuum.  A couple of places up, maybe. ;D
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster