News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Antigonus vs Eumenes

Started by Chris, March 27, 2016, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

When I played 6th edition I used to be indecisive but now I not so sure.....

Its definitely horrible (cavalry) being charged at the halt by foot especially if they have long pointy things or horrible chopping weapons.

I am tempted to have a look at this battle as Chris has set it out but under 6th. I think I have enough figures still :)
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Not only did cavalry suffer horribly when contacted by long spears, originally in WRG 6th - if I have my editions right - there was a -3 on reaction for horse charged by foot. This was hastily changed to -3 unless the horse had "skirmish" orders; but before that change I remember attacking a Sassanid army with my Seleucids - centre of pikes two deep, thyreophoroi with long spear on hills on both flanks, archery support, an elephant somewhere for the reaction minus... I don't recall how and why the Sasanid let me charge, but the first of his units threw low on reaction and, with that -3, broke; then the next had another minus for seeing friends routing, and so on down the line. It was the only game I'd played, I think, where not only didn't the winner lose a single figure as casualties, but the loser didn't either; they just all ran away.
Duncan Head

Mick Hession

I seem to recall a Slingshot article on the same lines from around that time, involving Huns.

Cheers
Mick 

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on March 30, 2016, 04:16:54 PM
Not only did cavalry suffer horribly when contacted by long spears, originally in WRG 6th - if I have my editions right - there was a -3 on reaction for horse charged by foot.

6th Edition it was - see page 24 (Reaction Tests). 

QuoteI don't recall how and why the Sasanid let me charge, but the first of his units threw low on reaction and, with that -3, broke; then the next had another minus for seeing friends routing, and so on down the line. It was the only game I'd played, I think, where not only didn't the winner lose a single figure as casualties, but the loser didn't either; they just all ran away.

Nicely done all the same.  It is very reminiscent of Antony's action against the Parthians in 36 BC, incidentally showing just how historical WRG 6th rules could be with a sensibly-handled army.  ('Historical' is a bit of a stretch for Seleucids vs Sassanids but you know what I mean ...)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on March 30, 2016, 04:16:54 PM
Not only did cavalry suffer horribly when contacted by long spears, originally in WRG 6th - if I have my editions right - there was a -3 on reaction for horse charged by foot. This was hastily changed to -3 unless the horse had "skirmish" orders; but before that change I remember attacking a Sassanid army with my Seleucids - centre of pikes two deep, thyreophoroi with long spear on hills on both flanks, archery support, an elephant somewhere for the reaction minus... I don't recall how and why the Sasanid let me charge, but the first of his units threw low on reaction and, with that -3, broke; then the next had another minus for seeing friends routing, and so on down the line. It was the only game I'd played, I think, where not only didn't the winner lose a single figure as casualties, but the loser didn't either; they just all ran away.

I once herded a Sassanid army off the table with a late Macedonian army, as with yours, neither of us lost a figure

Jim