News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

A Desert Storm: New Kingdom Egyptians vs Hittites in 1324 BCE

Started by Chris, December 10, 2016, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

In selecting a New Kingdom Egyptian army (List Number 14) from page 89 of the L'Art de la Guerre (ADLG) rule book, I am required to take 4 units of light chariots (all of which I may upgrade to elite status), 2 units of warriors (either medium swordsmen with impact or medium spearmen), and 2 units of archers - which I may downgrade to mediocre and therefore, pay slightly less than I would for regular or ordinary bowmen. So, out of an allowance of 200 points (the size of a force for a friendly and typical "one-off" game using ADLG), I am obliged to spend between 60 and 74 points on these required unit types. This initial outlay does not include the price for commanders. These personalities may be included with the light chariots or deployed as unattached.

Interested in staging a large and completely fictional contest in a desert location, I decided to prepare and field an army of New Kingdom Egyptians valued at 1,000 points - or perhaps a few more. For their opponent, I chose the Hittites (List Number 20), found on page 92. Technically, I would be using the "Hittite Empire from 1380 BC" section of the army list. Initially, I considered using 400 points of allies from the Hurri-Mittani army list (Number 21, also on page 92), but then decided to keep things simple if super-sized.

Interested in fielding as many chariots as allowed (and interested in finding out how well I could command and control all of these mobile fighting platforms), I opted for the maximum number of vehicles in the New Kingdom Egyptian force. A grand total of 50 light chariot units were fabricated. Even though I could have designated 20 of these "squadrons" as elite, I decided to deploy only 12 elite chariot units. The total amount of  "money" spent for this fleet of light chariots was 474 points. This left me with 526 "dollars" in my "army list bank account" to purchase the required warriors and archers, as well as other unit types and the commanders for this admittedly massive collection of New Kingdom Egyptians.

Turning the Hittite list, it was noted that there were 3 different types of chariots (4, if I counted the elite status as another category) that could be deployed by the Hittite King. I would be required to use 20 chariot bases but could prepared up to 40 units if I wanted. Given the even numbers involved, I decided to fabricate 10 units of each type. With regard to the Syro-Canaanite chariots on the list, I also opted for the maximum number of these units, preparing 20 stands, which were evenly split between light chariot with bow and impetuous heavy chariots. With regard to point expenditure, the 10 units of Hittite light chariots cost 70 points. The 10 units of light chariot with bow cost 90 points. The price tag for 10 units of heavy chariots with impact was 110 points, and the cost of 10 stands of elite heavy chariots with impact was 130 points. So, for the Hittite vehicles, my initial cost was 400 points. Purchasing 10 additional stands of Syro-Canaanite light chariots with bow cost 90 points. The 10 units of Syro-Canaanite impetuous heavy chariots cost me exactly 100 points. Added all together, my investment in the Hittite chariot arm cost 590 of my 1,000 points. This left me with 410 points to spend on warriors, light infantry, archers, and of course, command personalities.

Studying the "commander and camp budget"  table on page 74, I decided to include my brilliant Pharaoh ("Hahnukhamon"?) with a unit of elite light chariots armed with bows. This would make his cost 15 points as opposed to 30 if he were brilliant and unattached or a whopping 50 points if he was classified as a strategist. This royal personage was placed in charge of  all the elite light chariot squadrons. As for the remaining 38 stands, I divided these into commands or divisions of 10, 10, 10, and 8 units, and placed each under the command of a competent subordinate. These experienced leaders were also included in the units so that there was no additional cost incurred. As for the Hittites, well, I made the king a strategist and included him with a unit of elite heavy chariots. Even though he was embedded with the four-horse chariots, he cost 35 points. A brilliant commander was put in charge of the Syro-Canaanite light chariots, so that cost an extra 15 points. That left me with just 360 points to buy infantry and other subordinate leaders.

By the early afternoon of 03 December, my "work" was done. Both the terrain and the troops had been arranged on the table. In the absence of a complete visual record, my set up looked similar to the LEGION advertisement found on page 37 of the March-April issue of SLINGSHOT. In the absence of a complete visual record (perhaps I will or  should begin a blog in 2017?), the following description will have to suffice.

With regard to the physical look of the table top, there were three moderately-sized gentle hills present. These were assembled by connecting 3 or 4 hexagons of desert-coloured foam core and then topping the slopes with smaller elevations and or similarly shaped patches of specialty paper representing scrub or rough terrain in ADLG terms. There were 3 sand dunes present as well. These features are classed as difficult terrain but were placed on three edges of the playing surface so as not to directly interfere with movement. The final piece of terrain was a gully (again, hexagon shaped) which was just in front of one of  the gentle hills. Per the rules, this feature is rough terrain. It is, essentially, a depression where troops can hide.

If the reader can imagine my table top as the face of a traditional clock, the Hittites were deployed across the 6 p.m. side of the 9 a.m to 3 p.m. line, while the Egyptians occupied the 12 o'clock position of that same line. Starting on the Hittite right, there was a stretch of gentle hill which "guarded" their right flank. Next to this terrain feature, there were 3 lines of units. In the first line, the Syro-Canaanite heavy chariots were arranged. The second line contained the Syro-Canaanite light chariots. The third line consisted of the Anatolian LMI (javelinmen) and some Gasgan warriors. The center right of the Hittite line consisted of the following: a line mediocre archers, a line of warriors (medium infantry swordsmen), and a reserve line of Guardsmen. The center left deployment had a line of heavy chariots, a supporting line of warriors (medium infantry spearmen), and a reserve line of heavy chariots. (The Hittite King was with this command.) The left flank of the Hittite position was framed by another gentle hill and some scrub, and was protected by a division of light chariots with bows. The Hittite light chariots suitable for melee only were arranged in an angled column directed toward the open terrain on the gentle hill on the far left. Evidently, these vehicles were going to try to execute some sort of "end around" play.

Though the Egyptian army had more commands (a slight edge of 13 against 11), its deployment was split by a terrain feature separating its left wing from its center. The left wing contained 2 commands of light chariots arranged in front of a division of archers and a division of warriors (medium infantry swordsmen - impact). There was also a small command of Sherden warriors on this flank. In the center and center-right of the line, Pharaoh Hahnukhamon placed 2 commands of light chariots (each having 5 units forward and 5 units in reserve) and then a line of archers supported by a line of infantry.
The third line in this sector contained the elite light chariots under Pharaoh's direct command. A small division of Guardsmen (elite heavy infantry with 2HW) was deployed to the left of the chariot line. The far right flank was assigned to a light command which contained some Scout cavalry and some LMI (javelinmen). These formations were reinforced by a small division of Libyans (impetuous medium infantry swordsmen).

Even though there were no miniatures present, the table top looked pretty good. The size of the opposing armies was impressive. I crossed my fingers, hoping that this particular experiment would work, would produce promising results. To be certain, I did  not expect a quick battle. By my count, the Egyptians had a demoralisation level of 119, and the Hittites demoralisation threshold was 98.

Turns 1-3:
The signals being given, both sides advanced. Arrows were soon flying as the heavy chariots of the Syro-Canaanites rolled into range of the Egyptian light chariots on Pharaoh's left flank and Hittite light chariots were subjected to the attention of foot bowmen on the right. The Egyptian aim (dice rolls) proved very good and in a matter of minutes, Hittites and Syro-Canaanites were falling by the score. Despite the effective volleys, the Hittites continued to press forward. Even though they would be facing heavier chariots, the Egyptians held their ground, firing one more hastily aimed volley before preparing for the inevitable melees. Initially, the clash of chariots favoured the Egyptians. But then, the weight of the Hittite vehicles and armour and weaponry of their crews began to tell, and men began to fall from Pharaoh's ranks. Curiously, some Hittite archers (mediocre fellows) had advanced across no-man's land and into a gully very near the Egyptian line. Pharaoh's subordinate commanders had not placed a garrison in or near this feature, figuring that the majority of the fighting would take place in the open. While the battle raged on around them, these Hittite archers continued to march, eyeing the hill top just beyond the gully as their goal.

On the far edges of the contest, Egyptian Scout cavalry harassed some advancing enemy light chariots and then decided to evade. The Hittite chariots rumbled over the gentle hill and were met with the sight of hundreds of Libyan infantry eager for combat. Over on the opposite flank, the wider Egyptian deployment allowed Pharaoh's soldiers to threaten the Hittites' right. The Egyptian chariots were followed by a well-conditioned group of Sherden warriors. Seeing this development, the local Hittite commander issued orders for the Gasgans and Anatolians to block this movement.

It being so early in the engagement, both commanders had stayed away from the fighting. In fact, both commanders had kept their elite chariot troops and foot guards in reserve.

At the end of three turns, the Hittites had lost 24 demoralisation points, while the Egyptians had lost 14 points.

Turns 4-6:
On the Egyptian left flank, a fair number of light chariots had been lost in the fighting. Evidently, the vehicles could not stand up in a toe-to-toe melee against heavier enemy chariots. (For very long, anyway.) As a result, the Egyptian archers and medium infantry on this flank were ordered forward. The bowmen soon found the range and were landing effective volleys against the disordered Syro-Canaanite chariots and crews. In this same sector, the Sherden foot troops had come to grips with the Gasgans. Due to their impetuous nature, the Gasgans came running off a hill and into the Sherden formations. Sacrificing their uphill advantage cost the Gasgans hundreds of men. While all this was going on, 5 units of Egyptians light chariots (these had wisely avoided the aforementioned melee) worked their way around the Hittite right flank and were in the process of choosing a target or targets for flank and rear attacks.

In the center of the field, well, on the right of it from the Hittite point of view, the gully had been secured. The only problem with this was that the troops making up the garrison were out of command range of their leader and so, the mediocre archers just sat there. On the level ground to the left of the gully (again, from the Hittite perspective), the battle raged back and forth. One Egyptian command had been pretty much destroyed, while the others were heavily engaged. The ledger on the Hittite side of the center was also full of red ink. In fact, one of their corps commanders had fallen in the swirling melee involving scores of chariots. On the center right (from the Egyptian perspective), there was contact made between some archers and some enemy swordsmen. Surprisingly, the archers proved more than capable of holding their own in the combats. Two units of Hittite warriors were routed.

Over on the far left flank, the Hittite light chariots had run into a veritable wall in attacking the LIbyan infantry. Large gaps began appearing in the chariot battle line, while smaller gaps were noticed in the Libyan formation. On reflection, this local contest did not appear to have any significance in the larger battle. No matter which command emerged victorious, it appeared that neither force would be able to sway the larger engagement one way or the other. It seemed that the battle would be decided in the center. Six turns into the battle (approximately 3 hours, according to the time scale paragraph on page 6 of the rules), neither Pharaoh Hahnukhamon or the Hittite king had committed their reserves to the fight.

With regard to the status of each army, at the end of six turns of play, the Egyptians had lost 29 units, one of which included a competent commander.  These casualties added up to 60 demoralisation points. On the field, the Egyptians had 10 disorders units. So, all together, Pharaoh's army had reached 70 points. They were more than half way to their breaking point. As for the Hittites, well, their army had suffered the loss of 30 units and had lost a competent commander in a melee. These destroyed units and dead leader added up to 62 demoralisation points. As for disordered units, the Hittites had 19.  Doing the math revealed that the Hittites were closer to their breaking point. They had lost 81 demoralisation points from a starting total of 98. It appeared that the Hittite subordinate commanders would have to dedicate more of their time (and command points) to rallying their troops.

"End" Game:
The seventh turn witnessed the obliteration of the Gasgans on the Hittite right. In the same sector, a number of heavy chariot units succumbed to effective long range fire from massed ranks of Egyptian archers. Though this flank was not devoid of HIttites, it would be fair to say the advantage resided with the forces of Pharaoh Hahnukhamon.

In the center right, by the gully, the HIttites were unchallenged, but they were also not doing anything. Repeated orders to the mediocre bowmen lining the forward lip of the terrain feature fell on deaf ears, apparently. In the flat center sector, a desperate battle continued. Casualties were suffered on both sides; a Hittite commander was mortally wounded in one of the several melees. Even as these combats progressed, the reserves of both armies remained motionless. Evidently, both leaders wanted to save their best troops in case things took a turn for the worse.

On the far right of the Egyptian line, the Libyans were being decimated by a second wave of HIttite light chariots that moved up into contact. However, despite this local reverse, the general advantage remained with the Egyptian formations. At the end of the turn, a count of the disordered and routed units - on both sides - was made. Pharaoh had lost 70 demoralisation points in routed/destroyed units, including the one corps that had lost its commander. As for disordered units, there were 12 on the field. Pharaoh's army had suffered the loss of 82 demoralisation points out of a grand total of 119. The Hittite king would need to inflict 37 more points of damage before the Egyptian army quit the field. In marked contrast, a count of losses on the other side of the arid plain revealed that 17 Hittite units were presently disordered and 76 points of units had been routed. Three corps commanders had been killed in the action: two fell when their units were destroyed and the third found himself on the wrong end of an arrow volley in a melee with a unit of enemy chariots. Simple addition informed me that the Hittites were at 93 demoralisation points, just 5 away from their morale tipping point. Given the fact that 7 of the 17 disordered units were on their "last legs" (the loss of one more cohesion point would make them go "poof"), it seemed appropriate to call the battle in favour of  the Egyptians. To be certain, it had been a costly victory.

Comments
At the lower ADLG scale, the 50 units or stands of Egyptian light chariots represented 500  horse-drawn vehicles. At the higher representative scale, I had command of 1,000 chariots on my 6  by 4-foot table top. Though certainly no where near as visually spectacular as a traditional wargame would have been, the bird's eye view somewhat impressive. I could see the ordered lines of both forces. I could see the deployment of each corps or division, and I could also see and refer to the combat factors of each unit. (I shudder to think of the cost of  50 light chariots in 15mm scale . . . although it might be interesting to calculate the price as well as estimate the time required to prep, paint, and base.) Given that a number of chariots as well as foot troops on both sides did not lift a weapon in anger during the engagement, I am relieved that I did not make the investment in money and time to prepare traditional miniature armies. Even with my cost-cutting compromise "method", I did not use all of the units prepared for the battle. I found this to be a little disappointing as well as a bit of a relief. On the one hand, it seems to me that the king and the pharaoh might have been in the forefront of the contest. These personalities would have been leading by example. At least I think they would have. On the other hand, the fact that neither reserve force joined in the fighting saved me from conforming and calculating an additional number of combats. Having been raised on the Armati rules, I am still getting used to the fact that in ADLG, ties in melees are just ties. Neither side suffers losses and neither side is marked with a fatigue marker. I am also still getting used to the conforming concept and rules. Often times, local engagements take on the appearance of a zipper with missing teeth. An FAQ document posted on the ADLG Forum (American site) does explain which side can conform after melees. I find it odd, however, that impetuous units - of  the non-phasing side - are not allowed to pursue after winning a melee. If a unit is impetuous, it seems to me that that characteristic should  apply regardless of the phase of the game turn.

Turning from narrow concerns to broader considerations, I guess I did a better job as pharaoh than I did as king. Then again, it seems that this was largely a product of my dice luck. The Egyptian arrows did quite a bit of damage against the approaching Hittite chariots (both light and heavy) and therefore, allowed the Egyptian chariots to hold on in the subsequent melees. As related above, however, the advantage swung back and forth, and there were sections of the larger field where the Egyptians were pushed back with loss. Given the large size of the armies involved and the close distances at which they were deployed, the fighting started very quickly and casualties mounted just as quickly. Another interesting difference between Armati and ADLG is that there are no key units in ADLG. In ADLG, demoralisation points are accumulated even if the unit is a group of skirmishers that have taken a cohesion point loss. In summary, things add up in ADLG, whereas in Armati, it is simply a question of the loss of designated key units.

In March of last year, I staged a large chariot battle using modified Armati rules. If memory serves, it was enjoyable but not engaging; there were no nail-biting or "what-ho!" moments. Just yesterday, I completed a large chariot battle using ADLG as written. This large and fictional contest was also enjoyable but did not completely engage me. Was the battle simply too large? Are the rules too different from other sets I have  experience with, or are they not really suited for large contests? Did other factors (the  arrival of winter weather, the prospects of the new year and new kind of president) somehow interfere with my level of engagement? Was the lack of a better level of engagement and satisfaction a result of a combination of these variables?

As long as I am in a questioning mode, I might as well end with this: I wonder what kind of wargame would result if I tried something similar using Simon Miller's "To the Strongest!" Could I even contemplate such a large engagement with these innovative rules?

Prufrock

Hi Chris, interesting idea and report as always.

If you used To the Strongest! you would find that light chariots function the same as light cavalry, except that they are harder to activate in rough ground. They are armed with javelin or bow (3 ammunition chits; save hits on an 8+), up to half of which can be upgraded to veteran (add one ammunition chit; save hits on a 7+).

The Hittites get some heavier chariots in their list (lance armed; can melee; save on a 7+) up to half of which can be upgraded to veteran (save on a 6+). The ratios for heavier to light chariotry seem to be approx. 2:1.

Other troop types are probably what you might expect. The list is available here (for free): http://bigredbatshop.co.uk/collections/all/products/cradle-of-civilization-lists

I haven't played any games in this era, but with TTS you can probably expect to see a lot of missile fire from the Egyptian chariots (with occasional pauses to replenish ammunition) and attempts by the Hittites to charge home, requiring evasion tests by their lighter opponents. I think it would make for an interesting game, but you probably would want to restrict yourself to a smaller table and more manageable numbers to prevent fatigue on your part!