News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

It's articles like this that make me want to scream.

Started by davidb, May 30, 2017, 02:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

John GL

So that's why it's called a "Parthian shot".  Err...

Imperial Dave

I was amused by the puntastic website name......just me? Oh, I'll get my coat  :-[
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Holly on May 30, 2017, 08:16:51 PM
I was amused by the puntastic website name......

They do appear to have difficulty distinguishing their ars from their [composite]bow. ;)

As John G-L mentions, the tactic mentioned was popularised by the (stirrup-less) Parthians; the stirrup seems to have been invented by the Avars, both of whom precede the Mongols by a few centuries.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on May 30, 2017, 09:05:04 PMthe stirrup seems to have been invented by the Avars

Brought west by the Avars, anyway. Possibly invented by the Xianbei a few centuries earlier. There are some even earlier Indian and Kushan representations, but they may all be leather loop stirrups or open "platform" stirrups rather than solid loops.
Duncan Head

Dangun

I think they start showing up all over the place in China's archaeological record from the third century.

Isn't the stirrup a paired technology in that you have to go to hard saddles or it doesn't work?
(I seem to remember something along the lines of the horse not liking soft saddle/stirrup combinations.)