News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hannibal ad Portas

Started by Dave Knight, February 10, 2018, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

This is a booklet containing a number of scenarios from leaving Spain to invade Italy n to Zama.  A couple are fictional but most are historic battles.  It was written for the Picqet Archon system and we will be using Archon 2 and Pulse of Battle.  Write ups will be on my blog which I will post to this thread.

I have a reasonable number of figures for the period in old style 25mm but will be using proxies to make the numbers up.  I am using this as an excuse to rummage in my boxes of figures to if I can unearth anything useful.  However it won't be a big painting project as we would never get round to playing any games.

If anyone has any figures that they would not mind parting with for the period that would be helpful - I will put up a post on the for sale board

DougM

Hi Dave,  Can I recommend the Victrix plastic figures for Warriors of Carthage and Legions of the Republic? You can get them at shows from Dave for about £28 a box (I got two for £50) - and they each contain about 60 figures, and make up into very nice models indeed.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Dave Knight

Thanks for the recommendation Doug - they do indeed look pretty good.  Unfortunately I am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to assembling plastics so don't buy them.   

Jim Webster

Quote from: Dave Knight on February 13, 2018, 08:51:20 AM
Thanks for the recommendation Doug - they do indeed look pretty good.  Unfortunately I am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to assembling plastics so don't buy them.
It's interesting, the younger members of our wargames club who started with 40K assume plastic figures needing assembly to be the norm and regard it as just part of the hobby.
A couple of us of more mature years loathe sticking the damned things together with a passion.
I did put together a Lion Rampant force with plastics but never again. I'd do plastics if they were like the 20mm figures where all you need do is clean and paint, but no more self assembly  :-[

Not only that but frankly when you wander round the shows, plastics aren't particularly cheaper

DougM

Quote from: Jim Webster on February 13, 2018, 10:20:13 AM
Quote from: Dave Knight on February 13, 2018, 08:51:20 AM
It's interesting, the younger members of our wargames club who started with 40K assume plastic figures needing assembly to be the norm and regard it as just part of the hobby.
A couple of us of more mature years loathe sticking the damned things together with a passion.
I did put together a Lion Rampant force with plastics but never again. I'd do plastics if they were like the 20mm figures where all you need do is clean and paint, but no more self assembly  :-[

Not only that but frankly when you wander round the shows, plastics aren't particularly cheaper

Well, I got 62 x 28mm figs for £25 so I am not complaining. I suppose i also find the assembly quite satisfying. I think after dealing with people and computers all day, it's nice to have a challenge that just needs a sharp knife, file, clippers and some glue...    though come to think of it...
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Darthvegeta800

Jumping in tardy in this discussion i would like to say i tend to prefer plastics usually. Though for skirmish level games i usually tend to prefer metals. I am but a whelp though i suppose that a long time ago began with 40k. A universe that will always have a special place in my heart. Now if only more of my gen and next one jumped to historicals...