News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Slow campaign season?

Started by Chris, March 14, 2018, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

At the risk of appearing alarmist, it appears that there has not been a lot of wargaming and reporting of same taking place on this particular thread.

I have not researched this thoroughly other than taking a quick glance at the topics, but it seems that possible explanations revolve around:
- the season (winter not being conducive to campaigning)
- the focus, at least in England (where a majority of members reside, I believe), being on Battle Day preps
- competition: write ups may get more traction in the pages of Slingshot, another publication, or on the Ancients thread at TMP
- effort and time

The above is offered acknowledging my own lack of production . . . In previous years, I used to contribute regularly, even if the reports were not widely read or commented upon.

Chris

Duncan Head

I must admit I haven't played a single game yet this year. Weather, Battleday painting and sheer idleness have no doubt all played a part.
Duncan Head

Denis Grey

Having agreed to take on the role of promoting the Society's Championship shortly before Christmas, I find I have played very few games in 2018 - a total of three of DBA on one evening (one of which counted for the Championship) and one of L'Art de la Guerre.  I am sure this in simply a coincidence.

I would usually go to the Welsh DBA Open, but my wife was reading some of her poems at a literary evening in London.  Another game which I had arranged before Christmas for early February fell victim to my opponent's poor diary skills and a second - against a different opponent - to the snow in early March - which also caused the postponement of the Hammerhead Show in Newark (Nottinghamshire).  (Not that I had booked to go, but several Society members had signed up and I was hoping it would produce some more Championship games.)  I also usually go to the first PAWS (Portsmouth) DBA competition of the year, but again find that this year, I am double-booked.

I am hoping the situation will improve after Easter when there is a DBA competition in Alton (Hampshire).  I also have a game of L'Art de la Guerre arranged for this Friday and am hoping to re-arrange the one that was snowed off.

John GL

So far this year I've played in one DBM competition (four games), organised one campaign game of Mortem et Gloriam in which our esteemed Treasurer assisted the Romans to victory over rebellious Greeks, and last week unsuccessfully led the Nana Sahib's army against Sir Colin Campbell, shot some Bavarians flat with Chassepots, and drew with the Prussians as Marshal Bazaine.  Plenty of fighting going on, just not being reported!  More MeG on Sunday as the Maccabaeans rise against Antiochus IV, then some 1866 Austrian v Italian action on Tuesday.

Imperial Dave

alas I havent had time to even (now let me think how to phrase this properly) play solo games this year yet!
Slingshot Editor

Tim

While I have played 5 games this year, 2 were teaching exercises for players new to rules and the 3 were not interesting enough to warrant a write up.  If the battle pack in the next slingshot is interesting enough I might write a report of how we played the game not at the battle day...

Chris

Appreciate the comments. Good, in a way, to know that I am not alone (even though I am a solo wargamer).

Perhaps next month, or when the decision for BD 2019 is announced? Then again, I have been thinking about a campaign . . .

Chris

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Chris on March 17, 2018, 09:06:57 PM
Good, in a way, to know that I am not alone (even though I am a solo wargamer).

as solo wargamers perhaps we really should be able to squeak a game in to ourselves now and again!  ::)

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

I didn't manage to get any solo battles in over the winter period, but did get to fight one in Feb. Write up is in hand and will be added to the Little Battles thread during the next week.

My main excuse is that the wife has stopped working on Saturdays so I don't get so many "play days".
David

Imperial Dave

Quote from: dwkay57 on March 18, 2018, 09:49:39 AM
I didn't manage to get any solo battles in over the winter period, but did get to fight one in Feb. Write up is in hand and will be added to the Little Battles thread during the next week.

My main excuse is that the wife has stopped working on Saturdays so I don't get so many "play days".

;D
Slingshot Editor

Chris

Do not disagree Mr. Hollin -

as solo wargamers perhaps we really should be able to squeak a game in to ourselves now and again!  ::)

Then again, is not the "workload" doubled for us? Is not the burden of command even greater?  ;)

Chris

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Chris on March 18, 2018, 03:37:12 PM
Do not disagree Mr. Hollin -

Then again, is not the "workload" doubled for us? Is not the burden of command even greater?  ;)

Chris

of course....double the responsibility!  ::)
Slingshot Editor