News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Little Battles 20

Started by dwkay57, March 23, 2020, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

Yes - a different expectation from me too.

Feedback from the generals taking part indicated some confusion over expectations of getting to the battlefield and deployment space. I hadn't really specified the time to march to the battlefield in the brief, which perhaps I should have, but then neither of them asked....
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: Prufrock on April 28, 2020, 01:18:09 PM
Enjoyed that David, thanks. Quite a different battle to what I'd been expecting!

Same here
Enjoyed it  8)

dwkay57

Glad you enjoyed it.

Justin has an article from me explaining the process (rather than the detail of the battle) and some of the findings for consideration in any future events.
Would welcome informed and more experienced feedback on some those aspects.
David

dwkay57

Back to the serious issue of solo-battles!

Whilst not historically matched, each of the two sides were reasonably accurate.

My Trinovantes had just enjoyed a population explosion and were ready to take on some Greeks, so Athens and Megara stepped forward.

Summary report attached. Fuller report on my website.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on May 28, 2020, 05:39:54 PM
Back to the serious issue of solo-battles!

Whilst not historically matched, each of the two sides were reasonably accurate.

My Trinovantes had just enjoyed a population explosion and were ready to take on some Greeks, so Athens and Megara stepped forward.

Summary report attached. Fuller report on my website.

got the link to your website?
Jim

dwkay57

David

Jim Webster

dwkay57

"I don't like it Captain Mainwaring. This thread is much too quiet."
"Oh, it's alright Jonesey. It's quite relaxing."
"Do be quiet Wilso.... arghh"
"Don't panic. The officer has been shot. Don't panic!"

Hopefully this might be of interest or entertainment or beat having to put the waste out.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 21, 2020, 05:22:12 PM
"I don't like it Captain Mainwaring. This thread is much too quiet."
"Oh, it's alright Jonesey. It's quite relaxing."
"Do be quiet Wilso.... arghh"
"Don't panic. The officer has been shot. Don't panic!"

Hopefully this might be of interest or entertainment or beat having to put the waste out.

an interesting scrap  8)

stevenneate

Nicely reported David. I played in a WRG 6th edition competition many, many moons ago, and it was won by a top-notch plater who took Patrician Romans with mostly Regular D auxiliary infantry and a few Guards who, in big units and with javelins and darts, shot the enemy to pieces.  He was that skilful a player that after winning many competitions with good armies, wanted to test himself out with a fistful of crap troops.  He waltzed all over my Galatians, my Quality Irregular A fanatics proving no match for his Quantity of shooty riff-raff in big units.   

dwkay57

Glad you enjoyed the write up chaps.

I was a bit disappointed there weren't more hand-to-hand melees, although the Bactrians did the sensible thing in backing off. I am looking at tweaking down the missile fire damage (especially for hand hurled objects) to encourage more infantry to close to combat. Those with missile weapons who are charged will probably get a "pre-impact volley" bonus to compensate.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 23, 2020, 08:56:07 AM
Glad you enjoyed the write up chaps.

I was a bit disappointed there weren't more hand-to-hand melees, although the Bactrians did the sensible thing in backing off. I am looking at tweaking down the missile fire damage (especially for hand hurled objects) to encourage more infantry to close to combat. Those with missile weapons who are charged will probably get a "pre-impact volley" bonus to compensate.

you could perhaps have the pre impact bonus based on their morale. So poor troops on the edge of breaking achieve nothing whilst competent professions just doing their day job have a good bonus

dwkay57

There is an adjustment I call "commitment" which is based on a combination of morale, where you are in the battle line and what troop type is involved.
So troops fighting in the line of scrimmage normally get a "High" commitment, unless they are nervous, unsure or shaken in which case it becomes medium. If you are fighting in the reserve line your morale needs to be keen or better to get a high commitment.
And then the troop type is taken into account. So if you are cataphracts with a high commitment fighting in the line of scrimmage then you give 100% but if you are in the reserve line then you only get 50% on the basis there isn't that much you can do to contribute from behind another unit. Highly committed close order infantry in the reserve line give 90% on the basis they can get more involved.

At least I think that is how it works based on working back the various formulae.......
David

dwkay57

Another battle report to waste some time whilst the next summer thunderstorm passes and the heatwave returns (well at least in the UK at least).

Afraid it is Greeks v Persians again, but there were a lot of them.

Must either fight smaller battles or get a bigger table.

More detailed report available on my website if the rain persists and stops other play.
David

dwkay57

After a long break over the summer, my little men take over the dining room table again, but no Greeks or Persians this time for a change.

For those with nothing to do until Slingshot 332 arrives, there is a more detailed report on my website.
David