News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Optio available for playtesting

Started by Justin Swanton, April 17, 2020, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

After years developing Optio I am finally satisfied it has reached the point where the mechanisms have settled down and it is necessary to subject it to serious playtesting. (though Patrick and several others had helped me playtest it quite extensively in the past).

I am busy creating a VASSAL module - Optio really suits VASSAL - and am happy to walk anyone through the game module.

I can also supply the ruleset as a pdf or ebook for potential playtesters to decide if it's their thing or not. If after a once-over you decide it isn't your thing, that's fine.

The idea is to start with small, quick games and try out the basic play mechanisms, and depending on how those go, slowly graduate to larger games. Optio has a few army lists of its own but by and large it will be using lists of other gaming systems like DBA.

A word of warning: Optio is really not like any gaming system you are already familiar with. Command and control, the orders system, unit organisation, combat, combat factors and victory conditions are rather different from the regular run of popular sets, so there will be the need to grasp a few new concepts.

RichT

I'd certainly be interested in having a look.

Imperial Dave

moi aussi but only as a solo run through fro obvious reasons if thats valid....?
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: RichT on April 17, 2020, 06:23:00 PM

Great, Richard. Would you like the rules as a pdf or ebook? An ebook is probably better for a handheld device whilst a pdf is fine for a PC monitor.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Holly on April 17, 2020, 06:44:41 PM
moi aussi but only as a solo run through fro obvious reasons if thats valid....?

Fine Dave. Give me a couple of days (hopefully) to complete the module. How do you want the rules? Ebook or pdf?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Holly on April 18, 2020, 08:19:20 AM
PDF for me Justin and thanks

OK, I've sent you links to the ruleset and reference sheet.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

RichT

Quote from: Justin Swanton on April 18, 2020, 12:46:48 AM

Great, Richard. Would you like the rules as a pdf or ebook? An ebook is probably better for a handheld device whilst a pdf is fine for a PC monitor.

PDF please. I've also got Vassal ready to go.

Imperial Dave

looks like I may have to buy a new laptop next week.........!
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: RichT on April 18, 2020, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on April 18, 2020, 12:46:48 AM

PDF please. I've also got Vassal ready to go.

Here's a link to the ruleset and another link to a reference sheet for use with DBA lists. I'm working on the Vassal module - will send it to you once it's done.

Edit: I've slightly modified the reference sheet and updated the link accordingly.

Chuck the Grey

Thanks for the link to the PDF copy of Optio Justin. I've successfully download the files and hope to give a read thorough this week and maybe even a small game (solo of course) to get a handle on the rules.  ;)

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Chuck the Grey on April 20, 2020, 03:07:31 AM
Thanks for the link to the PDF copy of Optio Justin. I've successfully download the files and hope to give a read thorough this week and maybe even a small game (solo of course) to get a handle on the rules.  ;)

Great. I'm having a couple of headaches creating the module. Let me say by the weekend I'll have something to pass on.

Imperial Dave

I am definitely liking the rules so far Justin. well laid out and explained which for me means pretty pictures!
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

The Vassal module is coming along nicely. Here is a screenshot of a hoplite phalanx deployed for battle, led at the right by its intrepid general. Just need to complete terrain pieces and some player aids and another couple of army lists (which should be quick now that the prototypes are done).