News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Missile weapon ranges in WoR Terry Wise

Started by Dave Knight, June 11, 2020, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligern

Yes Anthony twas Arques that I was recalling.  Apparently the French manage to pull the Flemings a considerable distance by retiring. I had always presumed that the crowns move, like squares, in formation as the French might turn at any moment.  Even if they break formation then their sub unitisation must be enough to prevent them falling into a mob and to reform the  defensive ring.
Roy

Erpingham

QuoteEven if they break formation then their sub unitisation must be enough to prevent them falling into a mob and to reform the  defensive ring.

No argument there.  The guild-based structure of Flemish militias gave them such substructures.

We might also spare a thought for the cavalry, who manage a measured withdrawal over some distance, which speaks of a degree of discipline not always associated with French men-at-arms.

aligern

Of course , if the formation  consisted of front ranks if spear, then godendag, then falchions, the ranks have to be kept to as the advance and any reformation occurred, making ranks meaningful.
Roy

Erpingham

Provided we don't think of ranks overly formally, like we might find them in Macedonian phalanx or Roman legion, I think this is a good point.  There was differentiation, particularly at the front.  As we have seen, contemporary writers speak of formation depths of so many men or ranks.

aligern

I am not sure about the equation of  Roman and Macedonian ranks.  The Macedonians have to be very geometrical...its dictated by their weaponry.  Hoplites are a case for formalised ranks, but running at the enemy at Marathon and subsequently  makes them sound rather more flexible.  I wonder if the Roman system of heroic leadership by centurions and small flexible units s not more like groups of men at arms  around a leader with a front line, but rather wider spacing and freedom of individual manoeuvre. The Flemings, however, are using  long spears which would  fit with an ordered front that had to keep its good order to align weapons and gainmutual protection from its heater shields.
Roy
Btw is there a replacement for the term heater shields...no one has that type of freestanding heater these days!

Erpingham

QuoteBtw is there a replacement for the term heater shields...no one has that type of freestanding heater these days!

I've seen them called triangular shields but I think heater is still the favoured term.  I think the term heater for a clothes iron fell out of use in the 19th century, so it's had a good innings so far as a military term.

aligern

Erpingham

According to the OED, the first use of the term was in 1821

"A three-corner'd, or heater shield" by none other than Walter Scott. 

Add :

"The Valor trade mark was first used by a small business in Birmingham, England which began in 1890, to manufacture oil-storage cabinets principally for the Anglo-American Oil Company (subsequently better known as Esso)."

http://www.museumofpower.org.uk/Valor.html

aligern

Well done Anthony. If A comes before B it is unlikely to have been caused by B.
🧐
Roy

Howard Fielding

Quote from: Erpingham on August 09, 2020, 04:03:27 PM
I think the term heater for a clothes iron fell out of use in the 19th century, so it's had a good innings so far as a military term.

Thank you!  :)

I had NEVER heard that term for an iron before! "Heater" shields have always been a mystery to me as a result.

Erpingham

Quote from: altfritz on April 18, 2021, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on August 09, 2020, 04:03:27 PM
I think the term heater for a clothes iron fell out of use in the 19th century, so it's had a good innings so far as a military term.

Thank you!  :)

I had NEVER heard that term for an iron before! "Heater" shields have always been a mystery to me as a result.

Now when you look at the bottom of your modern steam iron and think "That looks like a heater shield" you know why :)