News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Unearthing Richard III

Started by Patrick Waterson, August 25, 2012, 11:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Actually, the arrow turned out to be a nail in the grave fill, according to the Channel 4 documentary last night.  The body had 10 wounds, some at least post mortem.  Death was adjudged to have been caused by a huge cutting blow - perhaps a pollaxe - to the back of the skull.

The Richard III society didn't come out well from the documentary - a strange bunch devoted to a fantasy Richard, in denial about 15th century realpolitik.  I'm sure the real Ricardians are a much more nuanced bunch and that chose the fringe for dramatic effect - that's TV I suppose.  University of Leicester and the other assorted experts came out well though.  And the disbelief as it dawned on them that, not only was the building they were looking for in the trench, but they had come down on the right bit of the building and it contained a grave, and that grave contained a skeleton that looked very like the person they were after.....  this broke all the rules of archaeology :)

Dave Knight

Absolutely fascinating

Truth is stranger than fiction

Duncan Head

Planned reburial in Leicester Cathedral, they were saying today, though a faction in York want him reburied in York Minster because of his undoubted ties with that city.

But he was King of England - why not Westminster Abbey?
Duncan Head

Tim

My Sister-in-Law is a member of the RIIIS - the ones they showed were the sane ones...

MikeBrn

In a Leicester car park for that length of time without being clamped? I suspect heads will roll at the next council gathering..........

Mike

Patrick Waterson

And there is the scandal of why he could not find a horse when he needed one ... recent news may shed some light upon this!  ;D
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill