News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Desperately seeking myself

Started by Baldie, November 12, 2020, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Its not the winning or the losing its the learning and the satisfaction of understanding for me....especially when playing solo!
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

That's quite philosophical dave :)  I think I would go for "The play's the thing" - an unfolding narrative, where one plays various parts, and generally has fun.  As David says, you always get to win, even as you lose.  Yes, you can be disappointed if you've foolishly taken sides or if your favourite unit/general/elephant gets the chop, but you've got no-one to blame and at least you can't argue about rules interpretations :)

Of course, you can play solo and lose by using pre-programmed scenarios, or if you set objectives  for yourself (e.g. A to capture the bridge in x moves).  I tend not to do this , though.

Imperial Dave

I like the way a battle unfolds like a story with a beginning a middle and an end...
Slingshot Editor

Baldie

Quote from: Holly on February 05, 2021, 01:10:18 PM
I like the way a battle unfolds like a story with a beginning a middle and an end...

Begining - This is going to be my day.

Middle - I dont believe it I could actually win this

End - How the heck did that happen I was bleeping winning half an hour ago

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Baldie on February 05, 2021, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: Holly on February 05, 2021, 01:10:18 PM

Begining - This is going to be my day.

Middle - I dont believe it I could actually win this

End - How the heck did that happen I was bleeping winning half an hour ago

(me)

Beginning - not sure I've got my deployment right

Middle - Yep, flanks have gone

End - I'm surprised I lasted that long to be honest
Slingshot Editor

DougM

I've got this:
I need to change my dice 🎲
How did that happen?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Baldie

This could become a new poetic structure.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Yorkshiretea

Beginning - text book deployment, never fails.
Middle - why did I do the abovee?
End - never doing that again.

Next battle:
Beginning - text book deployment, never fails.
Middle - ...... I think you can guess the rest

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on February 06, 2021, 09:09:24 AM
It should work....!
::)

Closely followed by: "what could possibly go wrong?" And occasionally punctuated by, "It's never done that before!"
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

normally followed by

'well that makes sense...?!'  :-\
Slingshot Editor

Baldie

Quote from: DougM on February 06, 2021, 09:32:52 AM
It should work....!

Closely followed by: "what could possibly go wrong?" And occasionally punctuated by, "It's never done that before!"

As the great Pratchett wrote "It's a million to one chance but it may just work"

Martin Smith

Quote from: Baldie on February 06, 2021, 10:27:52 AM
Quote from: DougM on February 06, 2021, 09:32:52 AM
It should work....!

As the great Pratchett wrote "It's a million to one chance but it may just work"

Million to one chances happen nine times out of ten.....😊
Martin
u444

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor