News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Little Battles 21

Started by dwkay57, January 24, 2021, 05:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

Oh no - another year and another series of battle reports beam their way through space.

Typically it is Greeks versus Persians to start the year off.

More detailed report on my website for those with interest or too much time on their hands (at the moment).
David

Imperial Dave

nice report and pictures as ever David
Slingshot Editor

Baldie

Great massive little battle

dwkay57

A little little battle this time. It did remind me of fighting in the late 1970s when my Romans struggled in open terrain against opponents with lots of mounted archers.

An opportunity for my recently expanded Commagene to test themselves against some unsuspecting Greeks.

Short report attached. Longer one on my website for those with time on their hands.

David

dwkay57

With bad weather being forecast, it was another opportunity to take over the dining room table.

This time a more powerful Greek alliance (Thebes and Thessaly) took on my Herodian Jewish army in its first outing since achieving (hopefully) its final configuration.

For those who think it is too cold for mowing the lawn, a more detailed report is available on my website.
David

Imperial Dave

very nice report David.....the annotations always help me!
Slingshot Editor

Mick Hession

Excellent account and really well presented. Nice to see Herodians doing well - one of my favourite armies  :)

Cheers
Mick

dwkay57

Yes the Herodians did a lot better than expected. How much of that may be down to the bad tactics by the Theban Boiotarchos is a point to consider, although a lot of Herod's troops have proved reasonably reliable in earlier battles.
David

dwkay57

Just like buses, battle reports seem to come along in groups.

Not a hoplite in sight this time - Ancient Britons against some Persians.
David

Jim Webster

I do like the way your rules play out,

dwkay57

Yes there does seem to have been a consistency of late Jim where one side has given up any aggressive potential by period 6. Whether this is a developing feature of the rules or just that recent losers contained some unenthusiastic allies that were allowed to watch their masters lose before deciding to go home., I'm not sure. I'll see what happens with a couple of armies without a lot of allies.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on April 26, 2021, 09:15:11 AM
Yes there does seem to have been a consistency of late Jim where one side has given up any aggressive potential by period 6. Whether this is a developing feature of the rules or just that recent losers contained some unenthusiastic allies that were allowed to watch their masters lose before deciding to go home., I'm not sure. I'll see what happens with a couple of armies without a lot of allies.

I do rather like the effect of unenthusiastic allies  8)

dwkay57

Very few unenthusiastic allies this time, but more willing ones who were prepared to make more of a fight of it.

My Spartans are dusted off to take my latest Persian satrapal force on a battlefield that may remind some of the Mandubian Hills.

More detailed report on website in case it rains.
David

dwkay57

More of a scenario associated with this battle giving me the opportunity to use some of that terrain I had spent ages creating.

The Athenians try to prevent the Armenians (with some help from Parthia) in trying to take over a colony.

More detailed report on my website for those not interested in the football.
David

dwkay57

The latest (and last) of my Greek armies are tested in their first outing by some rowdy Essex tourists.
David