News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Welsh island rabbits are archaeologists

Started by Duncan Head, March 31, 2021, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

RichT

Rabbits are excellent archaeologists.* I always check over burrows in the banks of hillforts etc, just in case.

* though of course they are careless about stratigraphy, and their publishing record is lamentable.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Holly on March 31, 2021, 04:11:21 PM
how did you dig that one up

Oh, you just listen to archaeologists rabbit on about their subject.

Jim Webster

Quote from: RichT on March 31, 2021, 05:00:37 PM
Rabbits are excellent archaeologists.* I always check over burrows in the banks of hillforts etc, just in case.

* though of course they are careless about stratigraphy, and their publishing record is lamentable.

To be fair, a lot of professional archaeologists aren't a lot better when it comes to publishing!  :-[

Erpingham

Quote from: RichT on March 31, 2021, 05:00:37 PM

I was taught at uni to check by rabbit burrows and in mole hills for signs of underlying material .  Number of hills and burrows checked so far over the decades - hundreds.  Number of finds - zero.  :(

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Holly on March 31, 2021, 08:16:05 PM
I wouldnt buck the trend

Trend? With them it's all hare today gone tomorrow.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor