News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Society Virtual Conference May 2021

Started by Nick Harbud, April 05, 2021, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

After the great success of our first such event last year, we are running another on the weekend of 22nd and 23rd May 2021.  The action will take place between 4pm and 6pm (British Summer Time) on both Saturday and Sunday.  We have a top-notch programme of speakers lined up for you.

Saturday 22nd May 1600-1800 BST
Prof Michael Fredholm:The Early History of the Goths, from Berig to the Battle of Adrianople 378 AD.
Dr Gareth C Sampson:Never Mind Mithridates - Lucullus, Pompey and the Armenian Empire.

Sunday 23rd May 1600-1800 BST
Mark Fry:Sassanid Infantry.
Prof Nicholas Sekunda:The Army of Alexander - then and now.
(where "then" relates to the publication by Professor Sekunda in 1984 of the Osprey Men-at-arms book "The Army of Alexander the Great")

We hope that each talk will last 60 minutes including about 45 minutes from each presenter and 15 minutes of questions and discussion, moderated by Richard Lockwood.

The Conference will be run on Zoom.  If you would like to attend, please register with Richard Lockwood by email at conference@soa.org.uk.  A link for joining the event will be sent out nearer the time.

And of course, please do not forget our live, in-person Conference taking place 29th - 31st October 2021 at Madingley Hall near Cambridge. it will be terrific to get together again, so please come along to have a good time and support the Society. If you have an idea of a game you would like to bring along to the Conference, please contact Richard Lockwood at conference@soa.org.uk.
Nick Harbud

aligern

Nudge nudge Nick, I think you may have  transposed the topics for Michael and Mark?

Roy

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Justin Swanton

Prufrock

Great this is happening again. Timezone prob not right but will sign up anyway just in case! Well done to the committee and organisers to make this work.

Nick Harbud

Plenty of coffee before the event and throw a sickie on the Monday morning.     :P

Nick Harbud

davidb

I'm looking forward to it again.  I replied as soon as I saw the email.

DougM

Quote from: aligern on April 05, 2021, 03:46:39 PM
Nudge nudge Nick, I think you may have  transposed the topics for Michael and Mark?

Roy

Hang on, when's the Sasanian infantry thing?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

DougM

Quote from: NickHarbud on April 09, 2021, 10:46:52 AM
Sunday

Cool. Doesn't clash with birthdays and anniversaries then. She always seems to get unreasonably upset and irrational when I'd rather do wargames things than some coincidental and fairly random date.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Martin Smith

Session today closed before I could commemt, but....
Thanks to both speakers 👍🏼👍🏼...and especially to Richard for excellent hosting of the online event. 🙂
Martin
u444

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

DougM

Aarrgghhhhh. I missed it. Was it recorded?

Ade G

A soggy weekend spent listening to ancient military history - brilliant!
Nic Sekunda's response to the question about sarissa joint tubes - priceless :-)

I know it was recorded but when/where can it be viewed?

Martin Smith

Thanks to organisers and hosts. Much appreciated.
Particularly liked Mark Fry's presentation on the representation of Sassanid Infantry.
Martin
u444