News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

As told in the Great Hall refights

Started by Erpingham, January 30, 2021, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Here is a set of brief refight reports of scenarios from the book As told in the Great Hall by Martin Hackett using Ancient Battlelines Clash, another of the many small scale battle systems around at the moment.  Apologies for cross posting, but given the interest of certain members in both Early Medieval (aka Dark Ages) wargaming and off-the-beaten-track rules systems, I thought they were worth flagging up here.

Imperial Dave

thanks Anthony. I have the book and its a veritable hard to class book of useful information and a ruleset
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Rolling a 6 seems a key tactical aspect.
David

Imperial Dave

true.....its very WRG reminiscent but he says that in the book
Slingshot Editor

sztrave

Yes, they are my battle reports.  The scenarios in the book are small, I made them smaller :-)  The rules is the book are like a d10 version of WRG 6th edition.  I did not use these rules but I have my own rules, Ancient Battlelines Clash.  They use 1d6 for combat resolution; 6 is good, 1 is bad.  So rolling a 6 is a good thing! They are quick to play and so wild dice swings will affect the game outcome but that is Ok as I play solo and they give a good narrative.

-shaun

Erpingham

Apologies Shaun for the lack of explicit acknowledgement - I didn't make the connection.  However, it is nice to feature another member's battle reports on the forum and , when several members are interested in small scale battle systems, to get the Ancient Battlelines Clash system a bit more exposure.  All you need now is a gridded version and you'll make Holly's day :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: sztrave on February 04, 2021, 09:52:27 AM
Yes, they are my battle reports.  The scenarios in the book are small, I made them smaller :-)  The rules is the book are like a d10 version of WRG 6th edition.  I did not use these rules but I have my own rules, Ancient Battlelines Clash.  They use 1d6 for combat resolution; 6 is good, 1 is bad.  So rolling a 6 is a good thing! They are quick to play and so wild dice swings will affect the game outcome but that is Ok as I play solo and they give a good narrative.

-shaun

great blogsite btw Shaun, It's one I often go back to as its crammed with useful info and comparisons
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on February 04, 2021, 09:58:52 AM
Apologies Shaun for the lack of explicit acknowledgement - I didn't make the connection.  However, it is nice to feature another member's battle reports on the forum and , when several members are interested in small scale battle systems, to get the Ancient Battlelines Clash system a bit more exposure.  All you need now is a gridded version and you'll make Holly's day :)

;D
Slingshot Editor

sztrave

Anthony, no worries on not making the connection.  I only posted so people would know the reports were from a SOA member and if they had any questions.

I did write a gridded version of ABC a few years ago :-) played a few games and then abandoned it as the ABC rules did not feel right on a grid :-(.   But I do have other gridded ancient rules, mainly for 6x6 or 8x8 games and these are based on the Bill Banks Ancient rules that are hex-based so easy to convert!

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor