News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Indians of Chandragupta II

Started by Jim Webster, May 17, 2021, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Not serious research but my reading mentioned that the Gold coins of Chandragupta II were common and had archer, hunting scenes and horsemen types

Of the four coins, the first is the King, lion hunting, the next two are supposed to be him as a horseman (which might hint at cavalry) and the last is one of the 'archer' coins

Wearing very little but as you can see, the bow type seems to have changed from the old 'long bow'

Duncan Head

As mentioned, though not illustrated, in the earlier Gupta thread https://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=5120

The bow seems to have the long "ears" of the Hunnic/Sasanian types.

I'm sure I have seen (maybe in very old Slingshot articles?) Gupta coins cited as evidence for armoured lancer cavalry, but in fact I don't think I have ever seen armour (on either rider or horse) on a Gupta coin.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

I think I remembered the same thing, and I just looked at the interim version of the army lists I have on my computer

II/3
Only after 320 AD (Guptas):
Replace chariots with lancers on armoured horses - Irr Cv (S) @ 19AP if general, otherwise 9AP      All
Replace Cv (I) with horse archers - Irr LH (F) @ 4AP    ¼ to ½

I would have thought if there were prestigious armoured lancers on armoured horses, the King might well display himself as one on his coins
Or at least wear a shirt!

I suppose on one coin he could well be wearing a long tunic

DBS

Given I am painting up some 6mm figures for a Gupta period army, which was why I started the previous thread...

I have opted for some armoured cavalry in bronze scale corselets, since these do seem to be pictured on contemporary art, including the pictures for which Duncan very helpfully provided links.  (I am using Baccus Spanish light cavalry with a suitable paint job, as these also have small round shields, for these HC-in-old-money.)

However, despite various modern artwork, I have not yet seen any convincing evidence for any EHC/SHC/Kn(X)/whatever, or anything that even suggests strongly something worthy of Kn(F).  I wonder whether people have rather assumed that an empire that had a lot of contact with Kushans, Sakas, Chionites, etc, etc, must have had some heavy noble cavalry.  It seems to my very inexpert mind that the introduction of horse archers probably is the main acquisition from the Central Asian cultures, rather than fully armoured cavalry.

Worth noting also that the Central Asian coins tend not to show very obvious horse armour - you get heavily armoured standing figures such as those favoured by some Kushan kings, but whether simply due to reduced scale of mounted figures on coins, they seem if anything more lightly equipped when on horseback.  Again, all to my inexpert eye, so I should be delighted to be challenged!

Edit to add: the Gupta coins that seem to show the most clothing (which could be lightish armour at a pinch, I suppose... certainly seems to be jacket and leggings) are the so-called standard types, where the Kushan trident appears to have been replaced by a long bow or stave on the right of the coin (ie the figure's left hand), and a Garuda standard added on the left of the coin.  Eg
http://coinindia.com/Samudra-4773-29.20.jpg

David Stevens