News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Major new study investigates Britain’s Bronze Age collapse

Started by Imperial Dave, July 13, 2021, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DBS

David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DBS on July 14, 2021, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: Holly on July 14, 2021, 03:01:58 PM
I am abashed..... :-[
Unless you are head of Cardiff University's PR department, why?
self flagellation is a key skill of mine  ;D
Slingshot Editor

DougM

I think it will be a Cardiff Uni PR person who sat down with the academic, asked him about it, then went away and wrote it up.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

DBS

Quote from: DougM on July 14, 2021, 05:44:00 PM
I think it will be a Cardiff Uni PR person who sat down with the academic, asked him about it, then went away and wrote it up.
Undoubtedly, but if something is going out based on your professional advice, you should always demand sign off.  More so if it mentions your name. I have to rewrite garbled write-ups quite frequently  :o
David Stevens

DougM

Quote from: DBS on July 14, 2021, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: DougM on July 14, 2021, 05:44:00 PM
Undoubtedly, but if something is going out based on your professional advice, you should always demand sign off.  More so if it mentions your name. I have to rewrite garbled write-ups quite frequently  :o

Some HEI will laugh in your face if you try to insist on review/editorial control of press releases mentioning your work.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

DBS

Thank god I never pursued a career in academia then  :)
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on July 15, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
Quote from: DBS on July 15, 2021, 10:16:38 AM

me either  ;D

Most of my friends on Oz were journalists, politicians, senior public servants and academics. I know which was the most cutthroat.

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on July 15, 2021, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: Holly on July 15, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
Quote from: DBS on July 15, 2021, 10:16:38 AM

me either  ;D

Most of my friends on Oz were journalists, politicians, senior public servants and academics. I know which was the most cutthroat.

Sayre's law?

"In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake." By way of corollary, it adds: "That is why academic politics are so bitter."