News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Derbyshire cave house identified as ninth-century home to exiled king

Started by Imperial Dave, July 15, 2021, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

I do hope there is some dating evidence in this report, as the article seems to be all speculation.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

I know Edmund and I think you can be assured he has suitable evidence - whether the press have properly reported what he says is, of course, another thing ...
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

QuoteThe conclusions are documented in a study published in the Proceedings of the University of Bristol Speleological Society.
Which says:
QuoteAnchor Church is an artificial cave at Ingleby in Derbyshire, it is cut into a cliff on the south side of a tributary of the Trent. The site has been long suspected to have been a hermitage and has been identified with Saint Hardulph, a deposed Northumbrian king who seemingly retired as a hermit at this site. The fabric of the cave itself has been presumed to largely relate to the use of the site in the 18th or 19th century by the inhabitants of nearby Foremarke Hall. Analysis shows that such a late origin for the structures is very unlikely and that modifications in the 18th or 19th century were on a small-scale and saw no significant enlargement of the existing caves. The phasing, the known history, comparison with similar sites, architectural analysis and the few surviving diagnostic features strongly suggest an early medieval origin for the site, probably dating back to the 8th century. This may be a unique example of an almost intact early medieval domestic interior and requires further study.
From https://www.ubss.org.uk/search_literature.php

Looks like stylistic and comparative evidence.
Duncan Head

Nick Harbud

Gosh, and here was I mistaking this for an article on the current poor state of council housing stock...  :-[
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Chuck the Grey

Quote from: Holly on July 16, 2021, 08:31:54 AM
poor? poor??

its practically palatial  :P

I could probably sell it for $500K (USD) in California and that would be a bargain.  ::)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor