News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The chronology of 5th century Britain

Started by Justin Swanton, August 19, 2021, 08:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

I agree as an aside re mainstream journalism. There is always a bias and the money men pull the strings
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Anton

Thanks Dave that's an excellent link. 

I see Brigamaglos is there.  I hadn't realised that some think he was a pal of St. Pat.  Whatever about that, his name could be read as potentially linking him to Dark's Martinian Revolution as in Koch's reading of Trawsganu Kynan Garwyn.  I must have a proper read of it all.

Imperial Dave

I am working my way through it all now....Also killing a tree to print it off for easy reference. A really good collection of material for the period and question at hand
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

not that I want to reopen a can of worms but here is an article defending Nennius...at least in relation to 3 key dates he gives (which overall leads to an earlier proposal for Vortigern et al)
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

I cant believe I have put my feet back into the rabbit hole. Been reading Frank Reno's Historic figures of the Arthurian era. A lot of it is on shaky grounds but there are some interesting proposals which have aligned with some of my thinking including amongst others that the Gewisse/Hwicce are essentially the same and 'grew up' in the South Midlands/West Country rather than fight there way there from the east
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on October 15, 2021, 11:17:18 AM
I cant believe I have put my feet back into the rabbit hole. Been reading Frank Reno's Historic figures of the Arthurian era. A lot of it is on shaky grounds but there are some interesting proposals which have aligned with some of my thinking including amongst others that the Gewisse/Hwicce are essentially the same and 'grew up' in the South Midlands/West Country rather than fight there way there from the east

I was rescued from my last trip down the rabbit hole by stuff I had to read rather than wanted to

Imperial Dave

and I have bought another book by him....very counter orthodox thinking!
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on October 15, 2021, 04:33:28 PM

Nobody ever got published by agreeing with everyone that went before..   :0
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

aint that the truth.....Arthuriana is the pinnacle of that!  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on October 15, 2021, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: Holly on October 15, 2021, 04:33:28 PM

Nobody ever got published by agreeing with everyone that went before..   :0

Apparently German doctoral thesis were notorious were this

Imperial Dave

so I might be in a position to submit an article although it is sans pictures at the mo....
Slingshot Editor

Anton

No harm in that.  I might be tempted to do the same or something related.

Imperial Dave

I wonder if the editor would run a 'series' of DA British articles.....could be fun
Slingshot Editor