News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Society of Ancients Conference 2021

Started by Nick Harbud, September 02, 2021, 11:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

Society of Ancients Conference 2021

The Society's Annual Conference will take place at the Cambridge University Continuing Education Centre at Madingley Hall (two miles northeast of Cambridge and one mile off the M11) from the evening of Friday 29th October to teatime on Sunday 31st October. The Venue is an Elizabethan Manor House with modern facilities, set in landscaped gardens.

The programme is still firming up, but we can already announce that our Keynote Speaker at the Conference Dinner on Saturday night will be Ben Kane, the author of many acclaimed historical fiction novels set in the classical and medieval periods. Other speakers include

• Simon Elliott on the IX Legion
  • Matt Bennett on How Medieval Commanders learned their trade
  • Simon MacDowell on Adrianople (the theme for Battleday 2022)

Games that have already been offered include:

• A giant 28mm Ipsus
  • Battle of Montaperti
  • Wars of the Roses Game
  • Chariot Racing
  • Roman vs barbarian skirmish games using the Infamy, Infamy rules, run by the author Richard Clarke

There is still space for several others.  If you have a game that you would like to arrange, please contact the Conference organiser, Richard Lockwood.

Bookings are now open via the Society website.  Since it is now only two months until the event, the full amount is payable at the time of booking. Packages available are:

• Full Residential Package (Friday supper to Sunday teatime): £326
  • Main Conference Residential Package (Saturday coffee to Sunday teatime): £221
  • Saturday day rate (non-residential) (Saturday coffee to Saturday teatime): £50
  • Sunday day rate (Non-residential) (Sunday coffee to Sunday teatime): £50

As in earlier years, Members aged 25 and below will receive a £50 discount.

Be a part of it - book your place now!

Nick Harbud

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

lionheartrjc

It is also possible to pay by cheque (payable to the Society of Ancients) to Mabar, Blackheath Lane, Wonersh, GUILDFORD, GU5 0PN.

Richard

Ian61

And another - that was easy to do from the link provided :)
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

Just a reminder to anyone thinking of going to the Conference that this is on nearby, as well. Bob Robertson and I are planning to drive to Cambridge on the Friday morning, catch the exhibition in the afternoon, and then proceed to the Conference for Friday evening. Could be worth the diversion if early nomads are among your interests.
Duncan Head

Richard Lockwood

That exhibition is a good call Duncan - i am going to try and see it myself on the Friday morning.

Meanwhile, bookings for the Conference are coming through thick and fast.

Just a few more lines on the games lined up so far:

- David Knight will be running his Test of Resolve rules for Wars of the Roses (David - feel free to give us a few lines here on the forum on the philosophy of the rules to give your games a good old plug!)

- The giant Ipsus game will be run by Simon Miller aka Big Red Bat with his To The Strongest rules - I am sure many of you have seen his massive 28mm Ancient games at Salute and other shows - he promises more pike than ever before - let's hope Madingley Hall's foundations are up to it taking the weight...

- Simon MacDowall and I are running a prelude to Adrianople game refighting the Battle of ad Salices (aka Battle of the Willows), to ghet us all in the mood for next year's Battle Day

- The Montaperti game is that which won "Best Game" at the Battle Day a few years ago - run by Phil Steele using Impetus rules. It is one of my favourite periods and battles (yes, choosing it for Battle Day was a little self-indulgent!) and Phil's terrain and beautifully-painted figures never disappoint.

- The chariot racing is for the Friday night "after dinner games" - Jeremy Giles promises a fun game with all the thrills and spills of Ancient Rome.

- We also have a Big Battle DBA game in the Hellenistic period run by Conference regular David Dickinson

and probably some more that I have momentarily forgotten!

More updates soon...

Dave Knight

I will post some Test of Resolve stuff later.

This is my first conference  so I wondered what the structure of the event is - how I get people to play my game and how I get to join in others?

It will be great to meet you all - I think the only person I will have met before is Richard Clarke having played in one of his games at a 'Lard' event.

Nick Harbud

Don't worry!

Friday evening tends to be dominated by people bringing out their favourite board games.  The rest of the weekend tends to fall into a pattern where everyone

• Absorbs presentation, as advertised above
  • Joins in one of the organised games, including your own
  • Retires for post-morten discussion and beer at the bar
  • Repeat

Obtaining participants for one's game is not usually a problem.  Indeed, you may wish to come equipped with a stick in order to keep the mob under control.  Stick is also useful for obtaining a good seat at someone else's table.

Hope this helps.    8)
Nick Harbud

Trebian

Really looking forwards to this. Be great to get out and meet up with other wargamers. I shall be bringing "Spartans and Successors" https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/p/spartans-and-successors.html a card driven system for classical Greek refights (that isn't "To The Strongest"), and also "Dicing With Death", a gladiator game for after dinner.

Duncan Head

Nick,

Do you know how early we can check in on Friday afternoon/evening?  Not that I am expecting to be especially early, but just for info....
Duncan Head

Trebian

Quote from: Duncan Head on October 22, 2021, 02:10:46 PM
Nick,

Do you know how early we can check in on Friday afternoon/evening?  Not that I am expecting to be especially early, but just for info....

Be useful to know. I'm intending to put some easy to play games in the boot, like Call it Qids or Elephant in the Room. Be good to play some of those over a cocktail or even afternoon cup of tea if it opens early enough.

Nick Harbud

I anticipate that either Richard or John will send out a list of joining instructions and other useful information in the near future.

8)
Nick Harbud

Ian61

That would be useful.
As another first time attendee I have just started to think what I might pack. From the photos of previous events it looks like a fairly relaxed dress code, but the venue looks so smart I feel the urge to pack a jacket and tie, any advice?
Ian
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

Generally relaxed, yes.

I tend to wear a jacket for Saturday dinner, though not a tie - some people are be-tied, but there is no real "code".
Duncan Head