News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Battle of Tell Dapur: A Late Bronze Age Clash

Started by Jon Freitag, October 02, 2021, 09:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Freitag

On Thursday, I hosted a remote playtest of Ian Lowell's Late Bronze Age wargame -rules-in-progress, Rein-Bow Warriors.

The engagement saw Egyptians v Hittites played in 25mm.

For a recounting of the battle in my first playtest of the rules, please visit Palouse Wargaming Journal at,
https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2021/10/battle-of-dapur-playtest.html

gavindbm

Mark G

They seem to be much more in line with how I would expect chariotry to fight too.

Was there a rule based reason why both armies infantry seem to wait until a pause in the chariot et duels before acting themselves?

Duncan Head

I think I remember seeing something about these in Slingshot more than a few years ago. Nice to see that Ian is making progress with the rules.
Duncan Head

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Mark G on October 03, 2021, 09:16:02 AM
They seem to be much more in line with how I would expect chariotry to fight too.

Was there a rule based reason why both armies infantry seem to wait until a pause in the chariot et duels before acting themselves?

Given the speed of chariotry and the distance between the lines, the chariotry quickly (and very quickly) outpaced foot.  No chance for the foot to keep pace with hard-charging chariotry.  Also, the chariot combat in "no man's land"  between the two battle lines generated an area of influence (or confusion) in which foot troops were unlikely to enter without risk of losing combat effectiveness.  Now, the Egyptian skirmishers on the Egyptian left were picked apart by Hittite caracole chariot tactics but no chariots contacted enemy foot in my first gaming trial.  Maybe next time?  Then, we may see how chariot v foot works.

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Duncan Head on October 03, 2021, 12:24:33 PM
I think I remember seeing something about these in Slingshot more than a few years ago. Nice to see that Ian is making progress with the rules.
Duncan, I went back and re-read many of the old issues of Slingshot.  You are correct!  Ian has been at this a very long time.  Since I only met Ian about a year ago, I am a newcomer to his works and theories on this topic.   

Jim Webster

Fascinated to know more about it, because like Duncan, I remember this from years ago. Good to see he's still working on it

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Jim Webster on October 03, 2021, 03:03:55 PM
Fascinated to know more about it, because like Duncan, I remember this from years ago. Good to see he's still working on it

Hi Jim.  Ian and I have a second playtest on Monday with a full group game on Tuesday.  I will have a better understanding of the rules' processes and mechanisms following two more playings.

Anton

I think there is something good here.  Hopefully we will see more.

Erpingham

Quote from: Anton on October 04, 2021, 03:31:34 PM

Certainly a change from the Swanton "equid battering ram" model, with the emphasis on mobile shooting.

Mark G

Jon Freitag

Anton, yes there will be more.  We have a second playtest on the gaming slate today with a group game on Tuesday.  Plenty of action, hopefully, will an interesting battle narrative.

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Erpingham on October 04, 2021, 03:41:26 PM

Certainly a change from the Swanton "equid battering ram" model, with the emphasis on mobile shooting.

These are not your great-great grandfather's equid battering rams...