News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Warhammer Ancient Battles V.2 Late Roman Imperial Field Army List for Scrutiny

Started by Atheling, November 13, 2021, 06:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheling

Hi, I really hope I have posted this in the correct space? I did ask in the Sandbox and was told that here was te best place.

With a heady a mix of nostalgia for a WAB event in the Late Spring of next year and an excuse to get another army speed painted for The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (details below) I present to you a 2800 point list for a Late Roman Imperial Field Army.

I would be happy to hear any helpful hints or ideas on changing the composition of the army. Very happy in fact as I have only really played a few games of WAB V.2 and I'm much more used to WAB V.1 and V.1.5.

***The two Legates will sit on the Foederatii Heavy Cavalry giving me a hard hitting Cavalry unit.

WAB V.2 Late Roman Imperial Field Army List 2800Pts
CHARACTERS: Up to 25% (up to 700) - 468pts
INFANTRY: At Least 25% (at least 700) -1446pts
CAVALRY: Up to 50% (up to 1400) -
FOEDERATI Up to 33% (up to 933)- 295
ALLEIS AND MERCENARIES: Up to 20% (up to 560)- 411

CHARCATERS:
Magister:                              161
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Shield/Thrusting Spear/Horse
Army General
M-7/WS-5/BS-3/S-4/T-4/W-3/I-5/A-2/Ld-9

Army standard Bearer:                              109
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Shield/Horse
Army Standard Bearer
M-7/WS-4/BS-3/S-4/T-4/W-2/I-5/A-2/Ld-8

***Legate A:                                    99
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Shield/Thrusting Spear/Horse
M-7/WS-5/BS-3/S-4/T-4/W-2/I-5/A-2/Ld-8

***Legate B:                                    99
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Shield/Throwing Spear/Horse
M-7/WS-5/BS-3/S-4/T-4/W-2/I-5/A-2/Ld-8

INFANTRY:
24 Legionaries: (L/S/M)                              375
16 Spear
Hand Weapon/Light Armour/Large Shield/Heavy Throwing Spear/Darts      287
8 Archer
Shieldwall                                    88
M-3/WS-3/BS-3/S-3/T-3/W-1/I-3/A-1/Ld-7

16 Spear
8 Archers

16 Spear
8 Archers

Auxilia- Elite Palatin: (L/M/S)                           321
18 Hand Weapon/Large Shield/Throwing Spear/Darts
Elite Palatini
Light Infantry/Drilled
M-5/WS-3/BS-3/S-3/T-3/W-1/I-3/A-1/Ld-8

11 Archers:                                     88
Bow/Buckler
Light Infantry   
M-5/WS-3/BS-3/S-3/T-3/W-1/I-3/A-1/Ld-6

11 Archers:                                     88
Bow/Buckler
Light Infantry   
M-5/WS-3/BS-3/S-3/T-3/W-1/I-3/A-1/Ld-6

CAVALRY:

FOEDERATII:
10 Heavy Cavalry:(L/S/M)                           295
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Shield/Throwing Spear/Javelins
WS-4/BS-3/S-3/T/3W-1/I-3/Ld-7

ALLIES AND MERCENARIES:
12 Goths: (L/S/M)                                 411
Hand Weapon/Heavy Armour/Buckler/Kontos
Shock Cavalry
WS-4/BS-3/S-3/T/3W-1/I-4/Ld-8

Total = 2796 Points

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge:
http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.com/

Jim Webster

Haven't a clue how it'll work, it could be ten years since we had anything to do with Warhammer ancient battles, but legionaries used to be killing machines.
Looking at it from a historical point of view, it probably falls within the bracket of 'entirely reasonable' composition  :)

Erpingham

Erpingham

I'm afraid I've forgotten anything I ever knew about WAB classifications.  Composition wise, I was a bit surprised to see a field army without any regular cavalry units.

Atheling

Quote from: Jim Webster on November 13, 2021, 07:23:12 AM
Haven't a clue how it'll work, it could be ten years since we had anything to do with Warhammer ancient battles, but legionaries used to be killing machines.
Looking at it from a historical point of view, it probably falls within the bracket of 'entirely reasonable' composition  :)

Me too Jim! Thus posting the list. I don't want to turn up with a weak list that is demolished in a few turns as that is no fun for anyone.

Quote from: Erpingham on November 13, 2021, 10:20:33 AM
I'm afraid I've forgotten anything I ever knew about WAB classifications.  Composition wise, I was a bit surprised to see a field army without any regular cavalry units.

It's extremely difficult to fit them in and have a solid centre. I'll have another dig at it later.

Cyrus

I used to play WAB years ago but have forgotten most stuff but remember one skilled opponent who used to run his Late Roman legionaries in units of eighteen like you have for the Auxilia Palantina, so the points saved may give you some handy options.

Atheling

Thanks Cyrus.

Quote from: Cyrus on November 14, 2021, 11:34:21 PM
I used to play WAB years ago but have forgotten most stuff but remember one skilled opponent who used to run his Late Roman legionaries in units of eighteen like you have for the Auxilia Palantina, so the points saved may give you some handy options.

In WAB V.2 one gets a bonus of +1 for being Closed Order infantry and up to +2 for the rank bonus ergo you are encouraged to go three ranks deep. I think you must be referring to WAB V.2 (?) when you say units of 18 as they would of course have to be three ranks deep. I think the most I would be prepared to drop the numbers down to is 21. They are pretty food melee troops with a decent armour save but they are WS3 and Ld 7 requiring the Army General and Army Standard Bearer to be hovering around behind the lines to prevent them from routing if the dice go against them.

I'm thinking of dropping the Cataphracts and adding in a unit of WS4 Ostrogoth Heavy Cavalry. I will add two units of 12 Equites (Scholae- Ld8/Drilled) as they will be tremendously maneuverable and ought to be able to set up a flanks charge.

I'm pleased I posted as the army is actually starting to take shape in my head now :)