News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Society of Ancients Conference 2021

Started by Nick Harbud, September 02, 2021, 11:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

Sounds like good advise.
I think I will go with military base protocol - working dress (i.e. very casual) for day time and smarten up for evening.
Cheers,
Ian
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

holdfast

It is a proper sit down affair so you can't go wrong with a jacket and tie.
Best
JohnDZ
Secretary

Trebian

Quote from: holdfast on October 25, 2021, 04:17:43 PM
Best
JohnDZ
Secretary

Depends on whether there is soup.

Ian61

Quote from: Trebian on October 25, 2021, 08:01:16 PM
Best
JohnDZ
Secretary

Well I was thinking of bringing one of my CCF kipper ties but now you have me thinking of breaking out one of my nice bow ties - very useful for not getting burned by the Bunsen burners etc. in the lab and equally for not trailing about catching soup - or worse someone's most precious model on a battlefield!
Ian
Ian Piper

Trebian

Quote from: Ian61 on October 26, 2021, 04:27:36 PM
Quote from: Trebian on October 25, 2021, 08:01:16 PM
Best
JohnDZ
Secretary

Well I was thinking of bringing one of my CCF kipper ties but now you have me thinking of breaking out one of my nice bow ties - very useful for not getting burned by the Bunsen burners etc. in the lab and equally for not trailing about catching soup - or worse someone's most precious model on a battlefield!
Ian

It's a wargames conference, and people are concerned about the dress code.

My, how things change.

holdfast

You would never have caught Charles Grant without a jacket and tie. And under that regime the Society had almost twice as many members. Perhaps the decline in membership was triggered by the decline in standards.

Mark G

did you have any specific member in mind, when you tarred us all with the scruffy oik brush?

RichT

Quote from: holdfast on October 28, 2021, 10:24:01 PM
You would never have caught Charles Grant without a jacket and tie. And under that regime the Society had almost twice as many members. Perhaps the decline in membership was triggered by the decline in standards.

Ah, but correlation is not causation.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Mark G on October 29, 2021, 07:06:33 AM
did you have any specific member in mind, when you tarred us all with the scruffy oik brush?

I resemble that remark!

My lady wife pointed out that it could be nearly two years that I last wore a pair of trousers that didn't have 'SITE' embroidered on them  :o

Mark G

Well, I didn't want to assume he was talking about you , Doug.

lionheartrjc

Thanks to Richard and John Dz for organising another excellent conference.
Excellent presentations on Rome's Lost Legion, Adrianople and Medieval Military Leadership.
A good choice of games in different rule sets - thanks to everyone who put on a game.
A great dinner speaker, Ben Kane.
Excellent food.

My speciality for the weekend was playing a Goth and charging down my opponents - sorry Ernie!

Richard

Trebian

Excellent weekend. Thanks to Richard & John DZ for organising.

Duncan Head

It was indeed a fine weekend. Thanks and congratulations to Richard, John, to all our speakers and to everyone who put on games - my only regret is that it wasn't possible to play EVERY SINGLE GAME on offer.
Duncan Head

Hannipaul

I'd wish to echo all the congratulations and praise for the Conference. Very heady wine after the dry months of Lock-down and Pandemic restrictions.

Ian61

Can I please echo both above.
As a first timer I thought it was a very good experience.
I had not expected the old hands to be quite so welcoming.
I really enjoyed the wide mix of personalities and expertise present.
I am already looking forward to other events.
Ian
Ian Piper