News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Qaramita....

Started by Jim Webster, March 03, 2022, 06:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Got an email from a friend

"in a fit of madness I got a DBA army (sort of painted).  Only info I've seen is that they tended to wear red clothes.

The guy who sold 'em has put large, rectangular 'pavises' on the dismounted spearmen whereas everybody riding something has a large buckler/medium sized round shield.  Any ideas?"

I'm wondering what to advise him  ???

Duncan Head

Look back through your Slingshot archive for the article I wrote about them, probably in the 2010s. Based on the Constantine Porphyrogenitus passage given here - "they have long spears and shields as tall as a man".
Duncan Head

Andreas Johansson

Slingshot #256, January 2008

(Why, yes, a Carmathian army is on my "hopefully someday" list.)
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Mark G

I thought Carmathian was a shade of Red.  Where were these chaps hanging around?

Andreas Johansson

There were at least two lots of them, one rather ephemeral in Syria, and a more enduring one in eastern Arabia. The latter got around to sacking Mecca, plundering Iraq, and invading Egypt at various points. The most thorough account of them I'm aware of online is at Encyclopedia Iranica.

I confess that part of the reason I've wanted to do an army of them is that they're reported to have worn pink clothes and carried white flags.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Duncan Head

I found the original of my Slingshot article. Here it is.
Duncan Head

vexillia

Duncan is the army book by Kennedy worth the £30-40 people are asking for it?

nikgaukroger

Quote from: vexillia on March 04, 2022, 12:59:11 PM
Duncan is the army book by Kennedy worth the £30-40 people are asking for it?

2nd hand copies for just over £20 on Amazon and IMO well worth that.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

I'm with Nik - I'd happily pay £20, but balk at £40.
Duncan Head

vexillia

Ordered second hand for £20.99 from Amazon as suggested.

Thanks Nik & Duncan and I'm telling the wife it's all your fault.  ::)

Jim Webster

Duncan Head

Quote from: vexillia on March 04, 2022, 04:05:31 PMThanks Nik & Duncan and I'm telling the wife it's all your fault.  ::)
You won't be the first.
Duncan Head

vexillia

Copy arrived and to my surprise it was "Like New" as described by https://www.amnesty.org.uk/amnesty-bookshops