News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Limitani shields

Started by Ade G, March 12, 2022, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

Before I lurch into the lead pile was wondering if there are any mentions of shield patterns for Limitani of the mid to late 5th Century?
I have assumed not but ignorance is no defence...

Duncan Head

I'm guessing the silence suggests that nobody knows; and I certainly don't know, either. In general the Notitia doesn't give shields for limitanei commands.

However, have a look at http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=1914.0 for a possibility?
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

funnily enough I was musing on this as well. Looking for inspiration for shield patterns for Hadrian's wall units for the mid 5th Century onwards. The links via the old thread do at least give possibilities. I was thinking along the lines of simpler versions of 'Imperial' unit designs but alternate ones cant be ruled out
Slingshot Editor

Ade G

Quote from: Duncan Head on March 16, 2022, 03:18:14 PM
I'm guessing the silence suggests that nobody knows; and I certainly don't know, either. In general the Notitia doesn't give shields for limitanei commands.

However, have a look at http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=1914.0 for a possibility?

I did not hold out much hope tbh Duncan as I have been looking for anything relating to this for years.
Thanks for the thread link

Ade G

Quote from: Holly on March 16, 2022, 03:42:47 PM
funnily enough I was musing on this as well. Looking for inspiration for shield patterns for Hadrian's wall units for the mid 5th Century onwards. The links via the old thread do at least give possibilities. I was thinking along the lines of simpler versions of 'Imperial' unit designs but alternate ones cant be ruled out

This is where I was going Dave - having a central boss, main ground and rim colour

Imperial Dave

I will show you mine in due course but I have followed that principle
Slingshot Editor

Ade G

Quote from: Holly on March 16, 2022, 10:42:46 PM
I will show you mine in due course but I have followed that principle

Looking forward to it Dave

Imperial Dave

I am trying to show a 'degradation' in unit status with time etc
Slingshot Editor

Ade G

Quote from: Holly on March 17, 2022, 09:27:06 PM
I am trying to show a 'degradation' in unit status with time etc

I like that narrative - Mine will have an occasional "full-on" shield pattern (for the officers) and then a couple of simpler ones and a majority with just colours blocked in.
Aiming for a force of Limitani/Auxilia/Federate in Gaul post 451ce with remnant Roman/Visigoth/Hun/Burgundi etc protagonists

Imperial Dave

lovely...mine is for DA Britain circa similar timeframe. Block colours the majority as you have done with the odd 'nice' detailed shield
Slingshot Editor