News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Definition of "coulovriniers"

Started by Chris, March 23, 2022, 10:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gents,

Doing some more "research" on Murten with a possible idea taking shape. Anyway.

In one source, I found a list of troop types in the Swiss force present at Grandson.

All of the types were recognizable save for "coulovriniers."

An Internet search proved unsuccessful, unless I was looking for financial advisors, a tavern, or something else.

My guess is that this might be a reference to handgunners, but I am not certain.

Any help or links to a page would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Erpingham

The most likely meaning is handgunners, from coulverine a main - a handgun.  Larger coulverines could be mounted on a stand (or crutch) as a form of light artillery. 

P.S. If you really want to get into the variety of artillery used in the Burgundian Wars, the go-to book is Douglas-Smith and DeVries : The Artillery of the Dukes of Burgundy 1363 - 1477.

Chris

Many thanks Anthony!

And I do have pages from the text you mention. Kicking myself for not copying more - especially the introduction.

Again, appreciate the assist and translation. From the French, I presume.

Cheers,
Chris

Erpingham

QuoteFrom the French, I presume.

Indeed.  The spelling is inconsistent in contemporary documents - Douglas-Smith and DeVries give ten variants.

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Chris

Thanks again. Helpful.

Quite an odd looking piece, I must say . . .

Must have been a chore to load and must have made quite a racket when discharged.

Cheers,
Chris

Erpingham

One of the things to remember is that coulverine was an evolving weapon and exactly what was meant by one might have varied between authors .  If you flicked through the pictures in that gallery Nick linked, you will find considerable differences.  It's also probably moot whether coulverineer in the 1470s always meant a man with a coulverine rather than other types of handgun.