News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Conquerors and kings Normans versus English

Started by martin, May 05, 2022, 04:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin

https://rulesforcommonman.uk/index.php?topic=4575.msg48159;topicseen#msg48159

We played this game on Tuesday,  May 3rd.
2 players per side.
We did have a few wild rolls but the game was most enjoyable.

The Normans swept across the table at great speed.
The English held their ground (mostly).
The Normans moved their attacks to the English left wing.
Although the Normans were chewing off chunks of the English  the latter held firm.

There was a strange rotation in the battle as both armies pushed forward their extreme right wings to capture the all important zones.

At the end of the game it was an English victory (smallish)  as they held the important zones and killed a lot of Normans.

Game lasted 2 hours.

martin :)

Chris

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Seems like your "dark age" or circa 1000 AD armies did that "revolving" door thing that more often happened on an ancient battlefield. (I'm thinking hoplites . . .)

Looking forward to next report.

Cheers,
Chris

martin

Hello Chris

Thanks for the comments.
We are testing different armies all over the show.
Eventually we shall divide the  rules into suggested eras/groupings , but at the present we are trying all sorts versus all sorts .

Jim Webster

Quote from: Chris on May 06, 2022, 10:33:56 AM
Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Seems like your "dark age" or circa 1000 AD armies did that "revolving" door thing that more often happened on an ancient battlefield. (I'm thinking hoplites . . .)

Looking forward to next report.

Cheers,
Chris

I wonder if the revolving door is a side effect of the nature of deployment with troops grouped together in the squares on the board. If one side has a strong force on their left to drive the enemy back, they almost certainly have a weak force on their right which their enemy will be able to drive back.
I simplify obviously but you get the drift. I've seen this sort of think in a lot of games where players try historical deployments but then cannot just hide their weak wing
Personally I rather like the effect  8)

martin

Sound logic Chris.
Scenery can of course make a  difference.
I will put the thought to the cahps for discussion.

Thanks