News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

How a priceless Roman bust ended up in a Texas thrift store

Started by Imperial Dave, May 07, 2022, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Denis Grey

I have some pieces of 1st and 2nd century Samian ware which my father unearthed while doing some building work in Rochester about 50 years ago.  Nothing complete - he appears to have hit a Roman rubbish tip - but it still gives me a thrill to be able to hold something that old.

Chuck the Grey

Dave was faster posting this than I was. I heard an article on National Public Rdio this morning while running errands. The radio article identified the subject of the bust as Drusus Germanicus. Some follow-up articles I found also said the bust was of Drusus.

The interesting part of the radio report was the trouble the woman had in returning the bust to German authorities. It took four years and a lawyer to finally reach an agreement. Go figure.  ???

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Chuck the Grey on May 07, 2022, 08:56:26 PM
The interesting part of the radio report was the trouble the woman had in returning the bust to German authorities. It took four years and a lawyer to finally reach an agreement. Go figure.  ???

If it involved American lawyers, the time to reach agreement comes as no surprise.  Towards the end I expect the German side simply lost the will to live.

Regarding Dave's proposed expedition to sundry junk shops, one can imagine the forthcoming conversations within the Holly household...

"Look, for years I've suffered your wargames armies and rulebooks cluttering up the place.  Now you bring home this piece of builders rubble?"

;D ;D ;D
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

The c in c is already used to me collecting pottery from walks  8)
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor