News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Police investigate damage to Iron Age broch as stones removed to build cairn!

Started by Imperial Dave, May 10, 2022, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

ghastly....

its not as bad as Caerwent though. All the houses are built from robbed Roman stone from the town. Makes me want to tear them all down

::)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on May 14, 2022, 10:23:29 AM
ghastly....

its not as bad as Caerwent though. All the houses are built from robbed Roman stone from the town. Makes me want to tear them all down

Would this be because classical history trumps the history of ordinary people and their reuse of local materials, at a time when attitudes to the past were different?  No excuse these days, though, I hasten to add.

Anton

Quote from: Holly on May 14, 2022, 10:23:29 AM
ghastly....

I see a local election candidate in the making!  We could come up with your slogan.

Seriously, Northumbria is the same.  You can spot Roman stone all over the place.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Reuse of decent building stone has been a constant throughout history  8)

Chuck the Grey

Quote from: Jim Webster on May 14, 2022, 05:13:43 PM
Reuse of decent building stone has been a constant throughout history  8)

The Colosseum in Rome was quarried for building stones until Pope Bennedict XIV stopped the practice in the 18th century. The site wasn't considered a sacred site until sometime in the 17th century. It would be hard to pass up on readily available quarried stones. Saves time and expense.

That doesn't excuse current vandals from helping themselves to any items in current archeological sites. Same problem in the USA with Native American sites being robbed, or protected geological sites being damaged or destroyed. Stupidity and ignorance are common traits regardless of nationality. I'll get off the soapbox now.

Nick Harbud

Holly is just jealous because he was hoping to auction off some of those ancient stones and make a fortune, but it is too much like hard work when they have been mortared into a modern building.   :P

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

well there is that aspect of it plus people are put off buying a real roman villa off ebay since the postage is a bit steep
Slingshot Editor