News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Battle of Auberoche 1345

Started by Jon Freitag, December 18, 2022, 10:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Freitag

Details of a recent refight of the Battle of Auberoche, 1345 using a variant of Neil Thomas' One-Hour Wargames rules can be found at,
https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2022/12/battle-of-auberoche-1345.html.

Erpingham

Thanks for that Jon - nice to see so many of the old 25mm Minifigs medievals in action :)  As I noted on your blog a well balanced scenario under the rules.  It might be less balanced under other rules which set army break points lower.  One thing that might help would be to reduce the proportion of English archers - probably less than half the English army were archers.  That would limit the destruction in the early phase and focus things more on the mounted men-at-arms in the English army to complete the destruction.  But thanks again - I enjoyed that  :)

Martin Smith

Great report...and by following the link one can access another blog, by the enemy commander, whose gridbasedwargaming site is one I check on daily. Both are excellent reading. Thanks for the link! 👍🏼👍🏼
Martin
u444

Jon Freitag

Anthony, you are welcome!  Glad you enjoyed the battle report and double thanks for leaving a comment on the blog.

As noted, the scenario is straight from Neil Thomas' One-Hour Wargames Scenario #22 which, itself, is based upon Featherstone's Battle of Auberoche.  A seemingly unbalanced scenario can offer a competitive contest given rules and scenario design.  It is surprising what a good game can be had with only a handful of units.  I was very surprised that my French could actually pull out a victory.  I did not give them much hope early on.  The rules and victory conditions helped me here.

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Martin Smith on December 18, 2022, 11:05:46 AM
Great report...and by following the link one can access another blog, by the enemy commander, whose gridbasedwargaming site is one I check on daily. Both are excellent reading. Thanks for the link! 👍🏼👍🏼

Thanks, Martin!
Perhaps as a regular reader of Peter's blog, I can become a regular stop as well???

Martin Smith

Absolutely, Jon 👍🏼👍🏼
Martin
u444