News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Little Battles 2022

Started by dwkay57, May 16, 2022, 07:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

It was time to give Jim the opportunity for another coffee break, so I set up a battle between one of my Greek armies and a Persian satrap, with a little bit of a scenario.
Both armies had a substantial reliance on allies, but some were better than others.
Short report attached, longer report on my website.
David

Imperial Dave

nice report and love the annotations, very clear 
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 08, 2022, 09:11:03 AM
It was time to give Jim the opportunity for another coffee break, so I set up a battle between one of my Greek armies and a Persian satrap, with a little bit of a scenario.
Both armies had a substantial reliance on allies, but some were better than others.

Interesting report, a very 'Persian' battle, 'we'd have done better if we'd had decent infantry'

(When are they going to start hiring hoplites, or calling up the Carians?   :D  )

DougM

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 08, 2022, 09:11:03 AM

Where is the website?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

I have quite a few Greek armies with hoplites Jim and wanted to keep the Persians "very Persian" and the satrapal armies somewhat regionally accurate (accepting that they don't match real satrapies and have very fictional names).

Whether I've made the Persian infantry - certainly in this satrapy - too bad or whether it was that the League was too good I'm not sure. I do have some Greek armies with poor quality hoplites, so I'll have to try them against this satrap. It is a chore, but someone has to do it.....

Glad it went well with your coffee.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 09, 2022, 09:00:06 AM
I have quite a few Greek armies with hoplites Jim and wanted to keep the Persians "very Persian" and the satrapal armies somewhat regionally accurate (accepting that they don't match real satrapies and have very fictional names).

Whether I've made the Persian infantry - certainly in this satrapy - too bad or whether it was that the League was too good I'm not sure. I do have some Greek armies with poor quality hoplites, so I'll have to try them against this satrap. It is a chore, but someone has to do it.....

Glad it went well with your coffee.

Very well thank you  8)

DougM

"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

The hills were alive with the sound of hoplites.
And though some forded a river, they didn't ford every stream. Which was a good job really as that is a different song.

Longer report for those who can remember the second verse available on my website. ???
David

dwkay57

Just in time before the mince pies take over the dining room table, my little fellas had another run out.

In something vaguely historical, it was Persians versus Greeks but on quite a grand scale.

Short report attached and longer report for those avoiding the festivities on my website.
David

Imperial Dave

very good David, I do enjoy your battle reports
Slingshot Editor