News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cyrenean Greeks and Their Chariots

Started by Dextropy, July 07, 2022, 05:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dextropy

Greetings,
I'm currently working on a 15mm Cyrenean Greek army for MeG, and I've hit a bit of a wall regarding sources on their military.
I was curious if anyone had some good leads on contemporary sources. I've found a litany of journal articles, but most of them are 50-60 years old and seemingly contradict each other. In terms of books, I've found "Chariots and Other Wheeled Vehicles in Iron Age Greece" but at $140 its a bit rich for my research budget. I don't have a particularly scholastic background, so I feel my JSTOR queries are just missing their mark.
Thanks!
Dexter

Duncan Head

If you have JSTOR access, the article you need as a starting-point is this.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 07, 2022, 11:20:02 AM

It's available on the free reading access scheme.

Dextropy

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 07, 2022, 11:20:02 AM
Aye, this and the main rebuttal are the 50-60 year old sources I was referencing.
I can't seem to find anything with a publication date beyond 1975. Not that they're erroneous, just trying to see if there is any newer scholarship on the subject.

Duncan Head

Right... I haven't come across anything new recently, then.
Duncan Head

LawrenceG

Well, Phil Barker in the DBMM army lists says "Kyrene was noted for copying four-horsed chariots from the neighbouring Libyans".  He also told me that he had seen a sculpture or relief showing a Kyrenean chariot with what looked like a water-skin slung underneath, but he didn't tell me what the chariot itself looked like.

Conventional wargaming wisdom is that Libyan Chariots looked like what figure manufacturers produce officially as a Carthaginian chariot.

Then the challenge is finding crew that look Greek and not Punic.

FWIW I used the Chariot Miniatures Carthaginian chariots for my Kyreneans, but these are a bit small if you want to cram three crew in. I suspect the equivalent from Minifigs, Xyston or Forged in Battle would be larger and you could use figures from a "true 15 mm" manufacturer for a less crowded crew.

https://www.magistermilitum.com/car16-carthaginian-chariot-horses-x4-driver-javelinmen-x2.html

For the mounted infantry I scratch-built some wagons that hold two 10 mm deep hoplite bases.

Duncan Head

Quote from: LawrenceG on August 10, 2022, 04:40:45 PMConventional wargaming wisdom is that Libyan Chariots looked like what figure manufacturers produce officially as a Carthaginian chariot.

That's because "what figure manufacturers produce officially as a Carthaginian chariot" tends to be based on my drawing of a Libyan chariot in AMPW, which is in turn based on the Persepolis reliefs of Libyan tributaries.

QuoteFor the mounted infantry I scratch-built some wagons that hold two 10 mm deep hoplite bases.

Nice models.
Duncan Head