News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Romans vs Germans

Started by Chris, November 19, 2022, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen,

Tactica II rules, with a few amendments, were employed in the refight of a historical battle between the legions of Caesar and the mustered Germanic warriors under Ariovistus.

You are cordially invited to read and remark upon the finished wargame report:

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com/search/label/Seven%20Tribes%20for%20Six%20Legions

(Any silly grammatical or spelling errors  :-[  ::)  :-\  >:( are entirely my own. I would hope that I've caught all of them after the proofreading process, but . . .)

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Cheers,
Chris

dwkay57

Always good to see a large battle featuring lots of Roman legions. Also good to see you organised the Germans along tribal lines, something that seems to be generally avoided elsewhere.

How comes your table keeps getting bigger?
David

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.  :)

The recent acquisition has me wondering (once the rules are learned of course), if I could stage something even larger. Here, I am thinking about that time during the Gallic Wars, before Alesia I think, when the Gallic cavalry swore an oath to ride through the Roman formation twice . . .

Table is not growing.  :o I have two options. The first offers a 6.5 by 3.75 feet surface. The second increases that to 10.5 by 3.75 feet.

Recently re-read a chapter in Grant's Wargame Tactics. He and his colleagues had the benefit of a 9 by 7-foot tabletop. Nice, but seems like it would be a stretch (no pun intended) to reach minis in the middle!

Cheers,
Chris