News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Another Try at Chalons

Started by Chris, December 10, 2022, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen,

Here is Part 2 of my Chalons "project." This scenario used the GRAND TRIUMPH! Rules.

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com/search/label/Aetius%20vs%20Attila%3A%20Part%202

Thanks in advance for your time and comments and for your understanding that even with careful editing and review, a typo, grammatical gaffe, or a few "misspelings"  ::) sometimes get through.

Cheers,
Chris

Imperial Dave

really enjoyed the article Chris, nicely written and very in depth including the musings!
Slingshot Editor

Jon Freitag

Chris, I learn a lot from your battle reports.  Not only do I see how the battle plays out but gain a comparative analysis between two rulesets.  A history lesson is often thrown in as a bonus.

I have two questions:

(1) With two trials using Triumph and Armati, are you planning to introduce this battle to another set of rules?
(2) Given your focus of using cardboard placing pieces to refight these historical battles, have you given consideration to using commercial hex-and-counter wargames that simulate this battle?  I know of at least two Chalons wargames.  It would be interesting to see you tackle the battle from this perspective and discover how the two media recreate this battle. 

As always, well executed and interesting.   

Chris

Gentlemen,

Thanks for taking the time to read, comment, and query.

DH - appreciate that you found the time to read and comment given your editorial "burden" and other responsibilities.

JF - thanks for your input. A fellow over on TMP liked it as well and made mention of his PhD dissertation, which was about Chalons - at least in part. With respect to your questions . . . I honestly do not see myself tackling Chalons again in the near or distant future. Battle Day Chalons was in 2013, so it has not been a decade quite yet. Perhaps in four or five more years it might be time to take another look and make use of the newest set of rules that will be out and available.
I guess it is ironic that I would either ignore or shy away from commercial boardgames when it comes to refighting historical or based on history battles. In past issues of Slingshot, I have seen adverts for Legion. In trawling the Internet, I have run across some similar approaches. Please see https://www.dmsguild.com/product/274242/Wargame-Armies--Ancient-and-Medieval

You raise a fair point/question though. It may be worth further consideration, perhaps with a future scenario or project.

As of this moment, I find my plate quite full. Not a complaint, more of an observation or statement.

Thanks again Gents, for taking the time to read and remark.

Cheers,
Chris