News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Scenario for Hastings

Started by Paul Innes, December 22, 2012, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

Thanks Paul,

Actually, on thing which I think Roy may be alluding too and we have not considered is.

Breakoffs are normally full movement.

With cav moving 12 and foot moving 8, there is absolutely no chance of the breakoff mounted being caught mid move.

I wonder, given the mechanisms, whether there are options to include this?

thoughts off the top.

1. after the break off, the cav are facing away - therefore facing back to the Saxons makes them disordered, so if the Saxons did pursue,  on the second move they are likely to hit disordered knights, which in turn sets up an option for the normans to go back further to escape this especially given the probability of initiative alternating cleanly (not sure I like it, but its no change to the mechanisms).

2. if the break off test is passed exactly but not exceeded by more (i.e. not comfortable), there is a D6 subtracted from the break off distance - so the saxon pursuit control test may be a 'hit' even if they fail to retain control - that would add a lot of flavour I think.

Paul Innes

Hi Mark, could do.  I was thinking of something clean and simple, like this:

- if the cavalry succeed in a break off they retire 8" because they are extricating themselves from combat; turning around on a hill; retiring; and then reforming.  If the Saxons pursue, they can catch the cavalry at 8".  They don't disorder the cavalry as such, because in our rules that is very powerful, but they get double dice against that unit.  The normal retiral rule we use doesn't cover this situation, which is why it covers the full 12".

We seem to be thinking along roughly the same lines...

Cheers
Paul

Paul Innes

Battle report is now up and on the blog:

http://caliban-somewhen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/first-attempt-at-hastings.html

It worked well as a scenario.  We are intending another shot in a few weeks' time, with a few more tweaks to make it more of a game for Saxon players.

Cheers
Paul